+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shurflo pump question

Default Shurflo pump question

I have about 100 taps on a shurflo 2088. I have a gauge next to the pump reading 13” and at the end of a 500 ft 3/4 mainline reading 12”. But very little sap flow if any it seems more like drips. But if I shut off and switch to using just gravity it has a consistent small trickle. Why? I know it’s still early but why does it seem like I get better flow with just gravity.

It sounds like you have leaks. Check carefully to find the leaks and fix them, you should be able to get better than 12-13" vacuum with 100 taps on a 2088 if the system is tight.
    Do you have a line bringing sap back from the tank to the inlet side of the 2088? They do far better if the diaphragm is kept wet.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have had the same set up for three years on this mainline with the same vacuum readings every year but this year it seems like it is producing nothing this year. Just not sure why. Actually in the past I have had it connected to a manifold connecting two 500 ft mainlines with over two hundred taps and still produced the same vacuum readings. This year we are separating the lines and going to run two pumps.

If it is early I wouldn't worry about it. You will definitely get more sap on your shurflo than without.

As to your vac readings, I am in the same boat. Last year and this year I get the same vac reading on the same woods at 15" on the main. I do plenty of work on the tubing lines but it always hangs out at 15". Better than nothing.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

If the sap is not running pretty good you probably will not due much better until the flow increases unless you use a recirculation loop. If this is what you got in the past when you had good flow it could be a bad diaphragm or poorly seating check valve. Leaks would be the most likely cause though.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I have checked every saddle tap connector etc ten times and there aren’t any leaks. I just got another pump to try on another line so we’ll see how that works. If it pulls more I will switch out pumps to test. This is definitely the last year with these diaghpram pumps next year full vacuum system.

Turned the pumps on this morning and one pump has a slight trickle going into tank and the other pump you can see the sap just building up in the mainline backing up the pump and nothing coming out has any one had this happen

Does your mainline have a steady downward slope all the way to the pump? If it is flat or dips anywhere near the pump, you will get air pockets and the pump will have trouble pulling a vacuum. It may behave this way if no sap is flowing too but sounds like it is. You should get around 20".

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Do you have a recirculation line keeping the diaphragm wet? If not, add one. It makes a huge difference when sap is not pouring in. You will immediately notice your vacuum increase substantially. I had a similar situation before I added a recirculation line.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

I have good slope to pumps and you can see it build up in mainlines for six or ten feet but nothing come out and then eventually it dumps like crazy but seems like it should be more steady than one big dump periodically . I will try adding a recirculate line this weekend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast