+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northern Wisconsin 2019

Hey Grandma:
    Seems like every year you are running way before I even get started. I'm just a little South and East of you and we're getting days that go just ever so slightly above freezing then into the twenties or teens at night freezing everything solid. Been really slow (maybe a gallon per tree of sap a week? or should I say ice.) and now it looks like the weekend will bring really warm weather hope it doesn't shut down the run???? Jay
    Zucker Lager

Question for you "hobby cookers". I've been doing this 4 years now. I'm small time, 50-60 taps, gravity into buckets. I typically get 3-6 gallons of finished syrup. This year I'm doing most of my tapping on a friends property. What would be a good amount of syrup to give them, to keep the prospect open, but not give away everything I make?

I don't think that's possible Jay. Everything is still so frozen. I think we'll be good for a while, unless we don't get below freezing at night. That looks to be the case this weekend anyway. If you are located in Sugar Camp WI, you are quite aways away from me.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

How many trees to you have tapped at that location TwoSaps 2 ? I would say at least a Quart . As far as the season goes, last week i thought it would be over this week. The forecast after this warm spell looks to go back into the freeze thaw cycle, so i am hoping for another run next week and another boil.

Quote Originally Posted by GramaCindy View Post
    If you are located in Sugar Camp WI, you are quite aways away from me.
    Hey Grandma Guess I was thinking more about latitude. Its a guessing game every year for when things start and stop. I collected about 25 gallons of solid ice yesterday 5 of 17 trees are still dry. At least if it does warm up I'll have ice to keep things cold. happy sapping Jay
    Zucker Lager

Default Fire wood chopper

I tap the in-laws property and they love the fact that we are using the land. They have 120 acres with hard maples spread randomly from one end to the other. I burn about 15 gallons of gas thru my snowmobile to pick up the sap. I think 10% - 15% of your haul should be sufficient for sharing with the land owner. My father in-law cuts down and stacks white pine all over the property and I haul the wood in to boil the sap when I'm out checking the trees. It works out nice. That way we get rid of some excess lumber that might lay out there and rot. Some popple also I use.
    This years production 1st batch 8 days worth 150 sap 5 gallons syrup light ruby color
    2nd batch unknown sap amount. 3.5 gallons of syrup 3 days worth of sap. Light amber. Noticeable flavor and color difference in both batches. I pulled my taps on Friday because I am happy with my production.
    Two lessons learned this year. Cause I dumped about a quart of concentrate on the ground. I now scoop 80% of the concentrate from the pan before pouring it out by hand. I used a glass handled mug.
    Lesson two I picked up a digital temperature sensor with a cord to check the temperature of the sap. So much easier to know where the sap is at. It has a four foot cord that watches to a base and the wireless display has temperature settings so it will alarm when your temp is met. Walmart 20$ grilling section make sure you get the one that goes from -20f to 300f or 500f
    Made life much easier I used to use a cheap 7$ hand held.
    Good luck it looks like you'll be getting a bunch of sap this week also. Some trees had a few buds showing on Friday but most of the trees were hiding their buds still.
    Last edited by lostrock4; 04-08-2019 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Default Pics

20190404_141622.jpg
    I have some pics to look at.20190406_085350.jpg

20190404_141841.jpg I use the black plastic taps a short piece of tubing and cleaned milk jugs. Poor man setup. I hang the jugs with a long torque screw or a screw in metal hanger hook. When you have a tree or trees that start flowing heavy you can swap the milk jug for a five gallon bucket. The milk jug keeps the bugs and precipitation out very well. And you can see how much sap you have from a distance. I tote everything in and out with the old artic jag and an otter sled

IMG_20190406_141339_299.jpg my boiling pan. I have an old stove top that I set the warming pots on. My friend and his son and I built the rock burning area about 8 years ago and I haven't upgraded since. Still work great. The pan sits about 16" above grade seems to be ideal.

Make sure you compare/check the accuracy of the temp probe you have with another temp probe you view as accurate. I found that the cheap ones for the grill are not accurate. We had a good run last week and have nested in barrels in the snow for a boil this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast