+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northern Wisconsin 2019

Default I'll put some taps in Tuesday or Wednesday to see if sap is moving here in Hayward.

Lots of snow still and frost. I'll tap my southern exposure trees in the next few days and let y'all know if we have any flow.

I plan on doing the same lostrock4
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

Sorry 4 the delay, always so busy this time of year. Tapped on Thursday morning. 22 trees 19 of them had some sap flow. A few of them were running a drip every 2 seconds. 6 taps had a half gallon from some flow on Friday. Low of 29 degrees Friday morning and high temp of 40. Low of 16 this morning and a high of 50. The trees were all flowing this afternoon good run. Good luck and enjoy yourselves

Here's the best news, the temp is 30 degrees at 1030pm and clear as a bell. We might get a good run Sunday also. I hope it drops down to 25 or 26

So far so good 520 taps on tubbing and shurflo pumps collected 1500 gal so far on 3 runs the system is working awesome after fighting with the 3 ft of snow on snowshoes the weather forecast looks good for the next couple of weeks. A lot better than the couple of years

Nice run this weekend. We have about 50 taps on buckets. Collected about 1/2 gallon per tap just on Saturday afternoon alone. Collected 64 gallons overall, to make 1.5 gallons of nice, deep caramel color syrup. So 40:1 sap to syrup is considerably lower sugar than last year (usually <30:1). Still almost 2 feet of snow by us, so still a good workout (therefore can consume more syrup). Looks like a great week ahead. Will have to hide my beat up, soot-stained black fingertips from the co-workers today.

Default Good run this past week

There is still snow in the woods. Sugar content has been high. Syrup a little dark.
    3500 taps, vacuum.

I agree sugar content higher. First batch last week dark. The batch yesterday was considerably lighter though on the dark side. Good thing we packed down the snow by all the trees with snowmobile earlier. Still had to snowshoe off of the hard pack. Looks like good weather week ahead and then it looks to over.

The season has been really good so far like the rest of the posts my 1st couple of batches was dark but made some awesome syrup the last couple of batches, sugar content around 2.4 and lots of sap. Our tubing system is running awesome on shurflo pumps. We already have made more syrup than the last couple of years and the weather looks really good for a couple of weeks, with still a lot of snow on the ground and the cold snap is welcome to get a little break. Like to hear how everyone else is doing

My season up here in Bayfield County is going really well. I have aprox. 27 taps on 3/16 gravity. It's coming out in a steady stream. Really cool to see. I also have 47 taps on sap sack. Some were overflowing yesterday. One wound up filling my boot really well. I don't have a sap hydrometer, but I can tell the sap is really sweet this year. My first batch of syrup came out fairly light, but beautiful. After not collecting last year due to deep snow and every type of vehicle getting stuck, I am finding that I needed to relearn some things while cooking and finishing. I got one of Smoky Lake's Murphy Compensation cups this year and really love it.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast