+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cdl 18x48 combo pan set up

Hey guys having a little trouble making syrup and getting good boil in syrup pan , Iv tried a couple small things one thing at a time with no luck. I went from having 8ft of 7in stack to 6ft and it made a slight difference closing the draft door doesn’t seem to make a Huge difference. Iv boiled about 260 gallons of sap I’m going to talk with cdl tomorrow and see what they have to say just wanted to reach out here first. Flue pan is boiling great 4FC1FE35-0480-45F3-8134-ADAE3C7A6CFB.jpgD04BF03A-1CC7-49BB-9CDD-43D624D81E1F.jpg

S
    Quote Originally Posted by Backyard boiler View Post
    Hey guys having a little trouble making syrup and getting good boil in syrup pan , Iv tried a couple small things one thing at a time with no luck. I went from having 8ft of 7in stack to 6ft and it made a slight difference closing the draft door doesn’t seem to make a Huge difference. Iv boiled about 260 gallons of sap I’m going to talk with cdl tomorrow and see what they have to say just wanted to reach out here first. Flue pan is boiling great Attachment 19808Attachment 19807
    Having used one of these pans I can attest to how challenging it can be to make syrup on them. I would keep your stack as tall as possible and keep the draft door all the way open. I would also get the foam under control. The syrup section is large so it’s hard to keep things flowing. Keep firing consistently every five minutes. Keep the sap level steady. If you lose focus even for a few minutes the gradient will suffer. Do you have a thermometer on the pan?
    Last edited by ecolbeck; 03-22-2019 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Whoops
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I do use a thermometer usually runs about on 3-4. I do also maintain my foam better I just tuck a picture for reference. I’m wondering if I need to make a slight wall of brick in my fire box.

How deep are you running the pan?

I did not have a brick wall on my setup. I layer bricks on top of Insulation and that gave me about 1/2” clearance to the flues.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I have fire blanket than bricks. I used sand from ramp up to base stack to give it about a 5/8 of a inch from sand to pan clearance

That sounds good. These pans can be tricky to run and many people finish their syrup inside. How deep are you running the sap?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Running about a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. My flat pan set up was syrup a lot this set up seems to be off Justin enough it should be boiling harder in the syrup pan especially with ro’ed sap

I don’t think there is a relationship between whether the sap was ROd and the boil in the front of the pan.

Is your wood of decent quality and finely split?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

How full are you filling the fire box? I recall a couple years back someone with the same rig having problems. It worked better if he added less wood and kept the fire smaller and low in the firebox, but fed it more often. The goal was to have the heat go up first then back, rather than under the wood and straight back.

Try small,wood and a small hot fire rather than stuffing the firebox full
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

I agree with this. I think that if the firebox is too full, then unburned wood can act as a radiant barrier, physically shielding the front pan from the heat of the fire for a short period of time. The firebox on that arch is so small that it’s easy to overstuff it.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast