+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade barrel #3 this year.

Default Homemade barrel #3 this year.

So I have two boils under my belt and have learned a lot along the way. First is sap depth control in the pan can be a little frustrating. My first boil 2 weeks ago I measured the depth in the pan with a SS ruler. What a pain in the rear. I wanted to make something that I could monitor the depth from 10ft away from evaporator. So I took the idea from a post on here about using a cork and made a depth indicator... I was boiling at about an inch the whole second boil yesterday with out an issue. And from what I have read about cork it is fairly impervious to liquids. I had 19 gallons of sap and we reduced it down to 2.5 gallons in about 2.5 hours. It made some very light amber syrup. And man does it taste good on pancakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good. Did you make your pan, boils fast.
    2020 same
    2019 RB10 26 taps
    2018 RO Bucket RB5 taps 20, leg tank in shed w/2 5/16
    2017 18 taps
    2016 20 taps
    2015 21 taps
    2014 30 2 gravity line, 2 hotel pan concrete arch 35 g leg tank
    2013 LP hook up in shack buckets 12 taps
    2 burner cook top 2012 finisher on a bbq tanks
    2011 rookie 2+ gal
    8 taps w/ milk jugs
    turkey cooker
    50-60 up back maybe

Yep everything is homemade. I think it is boiling so well because it very well insulated. Every inch in the fire box is either covered by brick or mineral wool insulation. So far I am happy with it I wish I could have it inside a building but other than that it's doing well. 1 gallon and 3qts made so far.

That is 6.6 gph evaporation, pretty good.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I like the shape of your evaporator. Its like mine...gets the ends of the pan up and out of the firebox so there's not scorching on the ends. How big is the pan?20190223_114812.jpg
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

My pan is 23.5"x 31.5" x 8" tall. I can not complain about it yet. I have thought about including a few improvements to preheat the sap better, but all in time. It has been an interesting learning curve to this point as well as a time crunch. Like the title of the post indicates started building evaporator #1 at the end of December and that includes the pans for all three. I am glad I built the other two first learned a lot along the way. And it was basically practice for my welding skills. But it really crunched time especially when I started tapping trees 10 before my evaporator was complete.. Thank goodness for cold weather.

Good looking rig! Nice job on the fab work! 6 gph is a good rate!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thank you. Unfortunately I am already thinking about my next rig to build. I am honestly thinking about a copper flat pan but if I can talk my wife into a 2x4 raised flue arch I might go that way...but for now is boil with the small rig and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by snakes14009 View Post
    Thank you. Unfortunately I am already thinking about my next rig to build. I am honestly thinking about a copper flat pan but if I can talk my wife into a 2x4 raised flue arch I might go that way...but for now is boil with the small rig and have fun.
    Lol... I am thinking about building a barrel similar to yours with a bought pan for next year. Never welded before so buying the pan will be how I have to go.
    Steve

SE Pennsylvania

2022 - 13 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 17.25
    2021 - 18 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 12 pints
    2020 - 13 taps, RO5, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove with 2 lg 6” deep pans - 6.75 pints (very warm winter)
    2019 Rookie Season - 14 taps, RO5, turkey fryer with 6” deep pan - 16.5 pints

A barrel is a great stepping stone. Especially if you do not have the fabrication equipment. You can buy a barrel kit for $50-60 and it is screw together, and your boiling. I won't ever build another one for myself because it is difficult to insulate and hard to load wood right up to the bottom of the pan. But it is a lot of fun either way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast