+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reusing sap sacks?

Default Reusing sap sacks?

This is the first year we have used more sap sacks than buckets, and I was wondering if anyone reuses their sacks, and how they prepare them for storage. THanks.
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

There have been several threads on this topic if you search. I, too, used the bags this year with the homemade PVC holders and I love them. I have no intention of reusing the bags. They’re inexpensive and I think it would be a real hassle to give them a proper cleaning and rinse. That seemed to be the overwhelming consensus on the other threads on this topic. I don’t believe the bag manufacturers intend them them for more than a season of use. Some of mine won’t make a full season as I believe rodents have bitten holes in the bottom of them. I hope this helps.

Conococheague

I toss them. After a few weeks of being rubbed against the tree bark, sharp ice inside the bags and what not I have spots on the bags that are weak and sometimes pin holes so I toss them. I purchased a case of them 2 years ago from Maple Hollow and still have a few years worth left. Even as the season progresses if I find one that leaks from anywhere, I replace it. I was told though that packing tape makes a quick easy and cheap repair on leakers.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Another sap bag question. Does anyone rinse the bags or change them out during the season, especially after a warm spell?

I throw them out when I'm done with them. For the price of them it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to try and wash, then dry them completely prior to storing them. Like others said by the end of the season they are normally getting pretty worn down. It's amazing most last the season without any holes. Tuck tape works great to patch a pin hole.

This seems like an incredible waste, is there no way to recycle them? What is the advantage of them over buckets that can be reused again and again?

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
    This seems like an incredible waste, is there no way to recycle them? What is the advantage of them over buckets that can be reused again and again?
    It seems like price and capacity are their only pluses. I have over 300 recyclable gallon jugs that I collected for free. What I lose in overflow is made up for in sustainablity and cost. Here in NY, Lowes recycles plastic bags, as does Price Chopper, a large, chain supermarket.
    Last edited by Daveg; 03-11-2019 at 02:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread