+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019

Hybrid View

Default 2019

Got all my taps in last week and have made 3 gallons so far...

Alright, I'm in the same boat as all of you, buried in snow and freezing to death. The snow and excess cold is starting to get old, but that is the joy of Midwest life I guess. All the supplies have arrived and awaiting patiently for a break to run some gas line to the shed, which will be fun burying later this spring. Thinking same # taps, but don't know if time will allow. Season goal is only 5 to 6 gallons I think.

Till tapping time (May?),

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

Boy what a year its going to be. I have 2000 taps. I've been working in the snow/woods for the last month and watched it get worse and worse. I luckly replaced all m drop lines before it got to bad and fixed all my down lines. This past weekend I pulled my 1000 ft electric line to my pump house, which was a bear in its self. Slow and steady is the name of the game this year!! I plan to start tapping this Wednesday as it will take me probably 5 days plus to get everything tapped and only have weekends and Wednesdays to do that! Good luck SD Dave and everyone else!

I'm in west central (becker/ottertail county line) curious when some of you other sappers are planning to tap? Thinking maybe end of this week/beginning next week, have 2,000 taps to go through this season.

Wow, 2000 taps, thats going to be a heck of a task with this snow. I'm in central Ottertail county and have about too on bags to get in. Early next week I think I will tamp down a trail with snowshoes (sold my snomobiles) and hope for the best. Probably start tapping around the 17th

We are partially tapped and a few bags have started. The 3/16 lines that are up started waking up as soon as we got the shurflo running. Slow, but it's a start.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

I was hoping to wait until the weekend of the 23rd to start tapping, but looking at the forecast we will be getting thing underway Sunday.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

I'm gonna double from last year! I think tomorrow I'll put out 10 taps across a very large Silver (4 taps), 2 Sugars (3 taps), and 2 Boxelders (3 taps). Forecast for Plymouth looks perfect weather for the next weeks straight.

Tapped today in Eagan, MN. In 1 1/2 hours there is 2-3" in my buckets! Yay!
    ... hoping it really gets going this weekend.

Well we went out to tap this morning and forgot the drill bit at the sugar shack. Then on the third tap the bit snapped off in the tree, so we had to run to the hardware store for a new bit. We ended up doing 110 taps with 100 to finish up this week. By the way, the snow is still over my knees.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

I plan to wait and see what this weather is going to do. They are talking snow/rain Wednesday again with wind... I tap near a river and I hope they don't get washed away!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast