+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2019

Quote Originally Posted by buck3m View Post
    Anybody getting enough to boil?

When do you think the first good run is going to be?

I'm coming back to the family farm in Minnesota and my brother and I will try to get the buckets up on Thursday.
    My boxelders are already putting out a gallon of sap a day. So I'll definitely boil down some on Saturday, though I'm just a 10-20 tap backyard hobbyist
    Suburban Mapler
    2018 - 5 taps
    2019 - 10 taps

Still dry for me around Milaca although a buddy on the south end of town has a few of his sugars running really good. Should be soon....

Collected 15 gallons last night on 25 taps in northern Anoka county. Guessing it will be around the same today. I’ll prob start boiling tonight or tomorrow to try and stay ahead of the game. I usually try and boil all week long after work then finish and bottle what I have condensed at the end of the weekend and start fresh Monday. The temps the next 7 days look promising for some good runs. Still have about 10ish trees that haven’t woke up from there winter nap yet. Once things get rolling it’s gonna be back to another full time job. Hoping for around the usual 6 gallons again this season

Put in 11 taps in silver maples Sunday, another 5 last night, have about 18 gallons so far, all of them seem to be running. Will put in another 15 Thursday and set up the RO to boil on Saturday. Still in MN but I can see Iowa from here.

We will be sweetening the pans this afternoon with 220 gallons on hand.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Running good down in Sioux Falls area, almost too good... I'd like to know how the school's can plan all their musicals, concerts, sporting events every year when the sap is running good. Warm weather moving in the are, not looking promising.

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

Put in 15 taps on Friday 15th only 4 were running. Put in the other 19 on Saturday. Right now I am at 30 gallons of sap (all silvers) will store up about 40-50 gallons before cooking. Just got tracks for my Argo 6X6 on March 12th and it would drive right over 20 inch deep snow drifts.

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Default Hung our buckets today

My brother and I teamed up to hang 125 buckets on the farm in east central Minnesota. Even with his good help the snow made it considerable work. We could barely drive around the main trail with a chained-up tractor. Lots of spinning and backing up and had to unhitch the trailer once, but next round should be easier.

Most trees were dripping. We plan our first gather of the year tomorrow morning.

Good luck to all!

Had 6 test taps out all running.going to tape today 100 taps on South end of mille lacs
    Family taped for many years
    started again 2009 after 25 year break with 40 taps
    2011 60 taps
    2016 90 taps

We got our 170 taps wrapped up today. The snow level has dropped by atleast a foot which made it so much more enjoyable than postholing through the woods. Half of the trees have started flowing pretty good but the ones deep in the woods are dry still. Planning on doing the first boil on Sunday.
    2017 - 45 taps on buckets 260gal sap 6gal syrup
    2018 - 92 taps on bags

All boiled on a homemade 2x5 fuel oil evaporator using 6 steam pans

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast