+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2019

Default its over???

In my area, Hampden, it isn't looking good for temps below freezing from here on out. Tell me its not over!!!!!!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Mvhomesteader View Post
    The science makes sense, but those descriptions are not quantifiable. I can't see how in October I would be able to make a prediction. I suppose a review of historical weather in summer versus sugar content in spring (if one kept those records over many years) might make predictions possible. Or once I figure out how to control the weather and sunshine I can manage my sugar bush!
    As always, sap sugar content is not that simple for a number of reasons. One is that the sugar we collect from trees is not simply that which was made the previous year, but is an integration of sugar made from several years, along with the varying degree of hydraulic conductivity (functioning) of the vessels which carry sap. Sap doesn't come from just last years wood ring, but from several. In fact, the average age of sugar extracted from maples is around 3-4 yrs old.

Despite that, we are having some success at teasing out the factors controlling sap sugar content. For example, we know that drought has a big effect, as does really hot temperatures in the preceding summer. We are still working on deducing the most important factors, and then will move on to how they interact (much more complicated). Bottom line is, we know quite a bit, but have lots more to learn. Once we come up with a decent model, we might actually be able to forecast sap sugar ahead of time. Until then...best we can say is...maybe it's important.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    As always, sap sugar content is not that simple for a number of reasons. One is that the sugar we collect from trees is not simply that which was made the previous year, but is an integration of sugar made from several years, along with the varying degree of hydraulic conductivity (functioning) of the vessels which carry sap. Sap doesn't come from just last years wood ring, but from several. In fact, the average age of sugar extracted from maples is around 3-4 yrs old.

Despite that, we are having some success at teasing out the factors controlling sap sugar content. For example, we know that drought has a big effect, as does really hot temperatures in the preceding summer. We are still working on deducing the most important factors, and then will move on to how they interact (much more complicated). Bottom line is, we know quite a bit, but have lots more to learn. Once we come up with a decent model, we might actually be able to forecast sap sugar ahead of time. Until then...best we can say is...maybe it's important.
    Thanks Tim! I had no idea that I am extracting sugar 3-4 years old-that's fascinating. I would inquire how that fact was ever determined but I would guess the answer is bigger than "post" size. I can see that modern research has better defined/refined the more esoteric concepts of 70 years ago. That being said, I still find it remarkable how accurate the general understanding of nature was back in the day. Those early pioneers were working with a lot less technology.
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

Not all the sugar is 3-4 yrs old. Some is 1, some 2, some 3....some (less) is 25. All depends how much was stored in a particular year, how much was moved in/out later on, and how well any particular ring (year) functions in terms of sugar storage and sap movement.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Sugar is starting to decrease on most trees, with an average of 2.5%. A few were 3.5%, and a few were 1.5%. But we did manage to squeeze 25 gallons into the tank today. It's a crap shoot.
    Maine Moonshine
    117 Sugar maples & 60 red maples on 9 acres, buckets, Leader 1/2 pint arch w/36x24 pan
    No shack (...yet??)
    When you start to hear the spring peepers, you know your taps have overstayed their welcome.

Ron is still hoping for a few more days. Real iffy. 10 taps. Have 65 gallons so far at 2%. Looks like a good day today. High winds for around 1 pm. Was 20 here last night. Syrup at least has some color and flavor compared to last year. Our sugar maple is in horrible shape. Had it trimmed last summer of all the dead branhces. Had seen alot of grubs in bark. Sap suckers have drilled huge holes in ot. Poor thing. Not looking good. Went to several maple events the last couple of weeks.

We boiled for the fifth time Sunday, reducing 65 gallons to within a cup of 2 gallons syrup. Once the trees thawed out they haven't stopped, and given this odd late season I'm grateful. I've got 65 gallons set for Friday and Sunday sitting in a snowbank behind the shed (The one good thing a metal roof can do is make big snowbanks). With the sugar content dropping and buds getting bigger, as well as a warm weekend, I'll probably collect through Friday and call it good. The trees are still pumping out 25+ gallons a day. To date my wife and I have done 8+ gallons of syrup from 273 gallons sap and frozen 18 gallons of sap for later tea, etc.. Strange but not too bad season so far......
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by highlandcattle View Post
    Our sugar maple is in horrible shape. Had it trimmed last summer of all the dead branhces. Had seen alot of grubs in bark. Sap suckers have drilled huge holes in it. Poor thing. Not looking good. Went to several maple events the last couple of weeks.
    Glad to hear you've got some sap to work with. Too bad for your tree, though.

General question for anyone who knows: can the sap sucker cause compartmentalized areas in maple? Or is the hole they still not deep enough to be a problem? What experience does anyone have with tapping near these holes? Thinking ahead to next year.....I've got one of those trees though it is in nice shape.

Hi, this is my second year as a back yard syrup maker. This year I ran 7 primary taps; 3 between my two sugar maples and 4 on my neighbor's silver maple (more on this tree in a bit). I also tried another 5 taps between 3 box elders. The box elder syrup never tasted right. It always had a strange fruity bitterness to it, the early syrup and the late. I'll not tap them again. My sugar maples seem to have a pretty decent sugar content, and boil down to a little less than 40/1 sap to syrup ratio.

The neighbor's tree, the silver maple, seems to be a major outlier. It's over 5 feet in diameter. It has really sweet sap. When I taste the sap of the silver vs the others, I can tell that it is markedly sweeter than sugar maples. It boils down to a 30/1 sap to syrup ratio. I didn't believe it the first time I boiled, so I boiled it to a 35/1 and it all crystallized. And this tree also puts out over 2.5 gallons of sap a day per tap. A single tap on it overflows five gallon a bucket in 2 days, with this sweet sweet sap, that makes delicious, sweet, light amber syrup. I know I'm inexperienced with sugaring, but this tree seems to outperform everything I've ever read about maple trees and syruping. Has anyone ever experienced a tree that produces like this?
    Suburban Mapler
    2018 - 5 taps
    2019 - 10 taps

Large trees (tall and big) growing in the open, with good growth rates, can produce a LOT of sap and sweet sap. No competition for nutrients, water, or sun. They are definitely NOT the same as your typical "woods" trees.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast