+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Mvhomesteader View Post
    Also a comment to JRM from the Boston area: you are fortunate that you have that many trees to tap in an urban area. I started tapping while living in a subdivision where I had limited trees and they were all red maples, but the syrup was great. If I stayed I think I would have started tapping neighbors trees! (with permission of course).Enjoy the fruits of your labor!
    Yes, I am fortunate. We have some woods and back up to conservation space. I could probably tap more of our own trees, but I have to decide if I could keep up. I do look at the beautiful maples in the conservation area, but, of course, have to keep my hands off.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Ron has tapped our 4 trees. Our friends red maple didn't do anything,so pulled it. Buckets are full right now. So far boiled 15 gallons. Very light like last year. At least it's giving him something to do.

Default Finally.......

Well the past few days have been, shall I daresay, normal. I've collected 65 gallons over four days with each day increasing. Today was 24 gallons off 32 taps flowing, and all the trees I had questions about have woken up, a few to the point that they drop like a bad faucet! Still a few woods trees, particularly red maples, that are slackers but I'm sure they will come on. Sugar content measures 2.8 to 3.4 so far.

I'm saving the 65 gallons for Sunday and have an epic boil in honor of Maine Maple Sunday-this is realistically the most I can do in a reasonable length day. This will be the second boiling. I hope everyone who have been waiting patiently for this season to begin start to see their trees wake up now that the weather has turned!
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

I got 50 gallons today. will be boiling tomorrow.

Collected a few gallons of sap yesterday from 24 taps.
    Probably see twice that by days end today so finally getting thawed out.
    Wishing I had waited on tapping because with gallon jugs you should either collect or dump them at days end so you
    don't end up with blocks of ice in the jugs . So been dumping them daily for two weeks because there wasn't enough to collect.
    The few Red Maples haven't given anything yet.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

Just added 65 gallons from Monday through today to bring this year's total sap collection to 130 gallons to date. Now for the Friday night boil off in the rain tomorrow evening through Sunday. That's all she can hold and she can't hold no more 'till we trim the fat from the tank and boil off what's standing in the evaporator from last Sunday. Good thing I didn't put in the other 45 taps.
    Last edited by Peeper; 03-21-2019 at 08:24 PM.
    Maine Moonshine
    117 Sugar maples & 60 red maples on 9 acres, buckets, Leader 1/2 pint arch w/36x24 pan
    No shack (...yet??)
    When you start to hear the spring peepers, you know your taps have overstayed their welcome.

Collected enough sap between yesterday and today to boil for 4 hours this evening. Many of my trees that have produced well in the past are just starting to thaw out.
    2019 99 taps on buckets (95 red & 4 sugar)
    W.F. Mason 2x4 XL

As I read other people's comments it appears that the waking/warming up of the trees is a notable slow process this season. I saw on the New Hampshire page where someone in the southern white mountain region noted this as their latest start in 15 years. Looking ahead to next week's weather I see from Friday on is in the 50's daytime and 30's at night which would perhaps signal a close to the sap run, making this Sunday to Friday the last hurah. Perhaps those in higher elevations and further north will go longer as temps in those areas are cooler than here.

In any case I will plan on this being the last week. I'm fortunate to have had a good run till today and have 113 gallons bucketed for boiling, 60 Sunday and 53+ Tuesday. The 60 is brix 3, I haven't measured the 53. If I can get a good run next week perhaps I can pick up another 100 over 5 days. I'm glad I tapped extra trees a few weeks ago as the season may be shorter than I had hoped. Good luck to those of you who's trees are finally waking up!
    Last edited by Mvhomesteader; 03-22-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

That lovely 65 gallons that I collected late Thursday evening has since turned into 30 gallons. No, not by evaporation, but by falling prey to yesterday's rain weakening my "Old" sawbuck that it was perched on. I came home from work eager to boil, only to find my 65 gallon polyethylene tank rolled down the hill and half empty with some now dirty sap that needs to be filtered after I build a "New" stronger sawbuck. Oh the joys of backyard sugaring and spring mud!
    Maine Moonshine
    117 Sugar maples & 60 red maples on 9 acres, buckets, Leader 1/2 pint arch w/36x24 pan
    No shack (...yet??)
    When you start to hear the spring peepers, you know your taps have overstayed their welcome.

Finally getting a full blown flow today. Had some full gallon jugs by 3 PM from an empty start. All trees tapped are giving now.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast