+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2019

Slow start in midcoast. I tapped twenty trees last weekend with disappointingly minimal (to nonexistent) flow until yesterday, when about half of my taps produced about 3/4 gallon of sap each. The other trees further in the woods are still just barely starting, if at all. Two inches of snow on the ground this morning and cloudy skies do not leave me hopeful, but I'm still planning to do my first boil early next week (because I'm out of syrup).
    Using it as an excuse to be outdoors and because it tastes better. Boiling 3 times a year and only in great weather.

2018--10 taps 1.5 gallons on a propane lobster pot
    2019--20 taps, with Vermont evaporator barrel, 3 gallons
    2020--25 taps, with Vermont evaporator barrel, 5 gallons
    2021--30 taps, with Vermont evaporator barrel, hoping for 5 gallons

Would have loved to see the sun today and full come home to full buckets. Fingers crossed i can collect 75-100 gallons by Sunday and have a decent first boill
    2017 - Homemade Barrel Evaporator - 20 Taps (buckets) - Backyard boiling
    2018 - Homemade Barrel Evaporator - 20 Taps (buckets) - Backyard boiling
    2019 - 2x4 Mason XL - 20 Taps (buckets) 30 Taps (sap sacks) - 14x16 Sugar Shack

Default sap-n-school Rockport 2019 first boil

It is a labor of love collecting with a kindergarten class. In the last three days we collected 45 gallons of sap--all by hand.
    Our first boil in the sandbox is underway.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19693

[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG] 19694[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is a labor of love collecting with a kindergarten class. In the last three days we collected 45 gallons of sap--all by hand.
    Our first boil in the sandbox is underway.
    IMG-4540.jpgIMG-4542.jpg

Well, today showed some promise! Collected 12 gallons with brix 3 to 3.2 and several trees that were slow goers started to flow. Still a couple of stragglers that usually flow well so I guess it's wait and see.

From what I'm reading in these threads it seems like coastal areas are doing better than inland. Warmer? Less snowpack?

Congrats to the kindergarten for getting 45 gallons in 3 days. Nice seeing the kids get involved. I just reached 40 today so definitely ready to boil this weekend
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

Got 30 gal. from my 50 taps yesterday . Going to fire up the evaporator in a little while.

I collected 20 gal off of 50 taps last night. Trees with snow around them still holding back a bit more.

Didnt check the sap, but mondays sap was 2.8%.
    2017 - Homemade Barrel Evaporator - 20 Taps (buckets) - Backyard boiling
    2018 - Homemade Barrel Evaporator - 20 Taps (buckets) - Backyard boiling
    2019 - 2x4 Mason XL - 20 Taps (buckets) 30 Taps (sap sacks) - 14x16 Sugar Shack

Default 55 gallons for the first week

Yes a slow start indeed, but after one week of collecting off 73 taps I got 55 gallons for the week with the sap at 3%. Just starting the first boil this evening. That's plenty for me now. I've forgotten how heavy two 5 gallon buckets are over the up and down trails through the woods.
    Maine Moonshine
    117 Sugar maples & 60 red maples on 9 acres, buckets, Leader 1/2 pint arch w/36x24 pan
    No shack (...yet??)
    When you start to hear the spring peepers, you know your taps have overstayed their welcome.

Got 34 gallons of sap off 80 buckets on Thursday and Friday. Boiled it down today to about 4 gallons on my Leader half pint. Will finish it on a turkey fryer. At 3 brix, I am hoping to turn out a gallon of syrup tomorrow. Slow start. This time last year I’d already bottled 3 batches. Fingers crossed for some good runs ahead.
    Page Meadow Maple
    Lowell, Maine
    Leader Half Pint evaporator
    80 taps: 53 buckets, 27 drop lines

South western Pennsylvania season is quickly coming to an end for 2019. Had a great season, had 35 taps, making 6.25 gallons so far on a custom built natural gas batch style evaporator. Also used a home-made RO. Made mostly golden light syrup, with some medium over the past few days.

Details on the evaporator and RO I built can be found here:
    https://www.sugartree.run/p/sugaring-diy.html
    https://www.sugartree.run/2019/03/cu...vaporator.html
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast