+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northwest Ohio

I didn't expect much sap over the weekend. I checked and emptied all the buckets Saturday night - mostly just to make sure they were all still on the trees after Fridays wind. I only gathered about a quart per tap Saturday night. They did drip a little Saturday but it was only 31 in the morning and it didn't warm up much either. I expected the same for yesterday except that we would have a low in the mid 20's going into Sunday. It never seemed like it would warm up yesterday and only got to 38 but we had a little snow most of the afternoon. We gathered last night and they had ran well yesterday - almost a gallon/tap. I guess I am boiling tonight! The newspaper says most every night this week will be in the 20's but Accuweather and the weather channel don't go quite that far. I guess we'll see as the week goes along...
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

We collected a gallon per tap today (Monday) and expect another gallon tomorrow. Total for the year about 11 gals per tap.
    2020 89 taps on buckets. 2 x 4, 3-channel, flat pan, evaporator

We pulled our taps on Mar 28. Had a great season. Sap total for year about 18 gals per tap.
    2020 89 taps on buckets. 2 x 4, 3-channel, flat pan, evaporator

I'm sticking it out for this last run. It should freeze tonight and tomorrow night. It has been a good year...just wanted to go around one last time!
    RC Maple

This is next year!

Quote Originally Posted by RC Maple View Post
    I'm sticking it out for this last run. It should freeze tonight and tomorrow night. It has been a good year...just wanted to go around one last time!
    Well, I thought I had one more run. There must have been a memo go out that most of my trees got that said it was April now and time to hang it up. I only had about 3 trees that were running yesterday. So now all my buckets are back home and the cleanup process begins. A good season though. I still have to finish up boiling the sweet I was going to start my next boil with to see how much syrup I made this year.
    RC Maple

This is next year!

Most all of the cleanup is done now and things are put away. There's still a few things to do in the sugarhouse but here are the final numbers for 2019:

Gallons of sap per tap 13.4
    Sugar content 2.16%
    Gallons of syrup per tap 0.34
    Gallons of sap per gallon of syrup was 39.79

It sounded like everyone had better sugar content this year. The last three years the sugar content had been 1.84%, 1.82%, and 1.98%. It was good to be back over 2%!
    RC Maple

This is next year!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12