+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northwest Ohio

Default Northwest Ohio

I thought I would see what others are doing in this quarter of the state. Who is already tapped and who's waiting out the next deep freeze? I did wait until 2/20 to get started and had pretty good runs right away. So far we've made about 4 gal of some really nice golden delicate syrup. All the sap I have gathered is boiled for now. I'm hoping today and tomorrow will give enough sap to boil on Sunday before the temps drop again. Sugar content has been better this year. My sap hydrometer has been testing a strong 2%...I haven't been @ 2% or higher for the last 3 years.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

I tapped the trees at my house in temperance on the 22nd but I held off tapping the 5 trees at my office in Toledo. Its kind of open there and I was worried about having to chase down my buckets in the road last weekend. I boiled on Monday, sweetened the pans and drew off about a pint of syrup. My sugar was only 1.4 and I threw out quite abit of ice, which is not the greatest. I tap all reds and silvers.

Default North Central Ohio

I tapped on Feb 20. Collected 5 gals of sap per tap. Boiled 6 days in a row. Sugar was 3.5% the first day and 3% since. We tap all sugars. We’re shut down now due to cold weather. If the forecast is correct it’ll be a week or more before we start again. We’re in North Central Ohio, the bush is about 8 miles from Lake Erie. 87 taps this year, 2x4 flat pan with 3 channels.
    2020 89 taps on buckets. 2 x 4, 3-channel, flat pan, evaporator

I am outside of Bowling Green, I had 25 taps in on the 20th as well....up to about 4 3/4 gallons mostly golden so far. Looked like it began to drip today, hoping to get more tomorrow. My sugar is always high, and not sure why...most are 3 or 4%...several buckets were 5% and one 6%...with no ice...go figure. I really would like to know why. The trees i used to tap at my home were in the woods...always around 2%. I quit tapping those for the higher sugar at my new location which is our golf course. I wonder if it is because those trees are out in the wide open on the course, and get alot of sun??? Just curious, but i sure can't complain about that! I have been steadily testing the sugar content each time i collect this year...just to see how it changes throughout the season. I do this strictly for fun to give to friends and family.

Angry

We are in seneca county, south of green springs. Tapped Feb 2nd, 350 taps on vacuum. Sugar has been around 2- 3%. So far 64 gal syrup, still fixing the tubing after the last wind storm came thru. GOTTA love those ash trees

I took my buckets down again today. I took them down last Sunday as well - then I was dumping 1-2 gallons out of each one. I put them back up on Tuesday hoping 2 or 3 days around 40 would help some sap to run. Today, I gathered a whole 8.5 gallons. Even though accuweather shows we got to 40 on Wednesday and Friday and we were upper 30's today, almost nothing ran. The forecast on accuweather now calls for 45 on Saturday and then 40's the next week - there's something to look forward to!
    RC Maple

This is next year!

Don't know whether to be a little disappointed in the weekend:120 gal on 92 taps all weekend or hopeful that it means the season will continue for a couple more weeks.. Didn't get anything last weekend either...
    2019: tapped 2/20/19, 92 taps on buckets
    2018: tapped 2/11/18, pulled 3/27/18 75 taps on same buckets 'Optimizer' inverted filter rack =30.5 gallons finished syrup
    2017: tapped 2/5/17 fuel oil tank evaporator two 18"x28" flat pans, 50 taps on drop lines/Buckets, Small scale RO =11 gallon syrup
    2016: tapped 1/25/16 1st year, 25 taps on buckets, copper kettle over a fire =4.5 gallon syrup
    6x4 gator sap collector and kid hauler

Wasnt the best of runs with all the wind AGAIN! Ran better yesterday afternoon before the cool down. If it doesn't run this wed and thurs, pack it in.

Default Not complaining

Sunday we collected 1.5 gals per tap. We’re not complaining, that’s two days of boiling for us and I expect to collect more today. Looks like a good week, cold nights warm days. We’d-Thur-Fri looks good. The season is not over.
    2020 89 taps on buckets. 2 x 4, 3-channel, flat pan, evaporator

My run aver the weekend was about 1 gal /tap. Yesterday was about .5 gal+ and today looks good too. But it looks like a big run is on its way this week. So far..so good. The sugar has been doing good too..holding over 2%.
    RC Maple

This is next year!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast