+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cloudy syrup question

Default cloudy syrup question

My second batch of syrup went through the filter and when I put it into the jar, I noticed lots of fine suspended niter(I'm assuming). I put it in the refrigerator for a few days figuring it would settle out and that would take care of it. It's been a week and it's still suspended in the syrup. I bought new pre-filters and a new filter, heated it back up in a double boiler to 185 and re-filtered. I still have the same issue. It was just this one batch that did this. My other batches came out crystal clear. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks

Try adding some DE in with the hot syrup and then filter it, that should fix it. Try to heat it to a little over 200, add the DE, mix to blend, then pour it onto the filter with prefilters on top. The bottle it at about 185F.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

How much DE should I add? I'm only having trouble with a 1/2 gal of syrup.

Perhaps this syrup has finer minerals?? I guess I'm not so familar With cone filters
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

yeah, I'm not sure. It's the first time this has happened. Batch 1 and 3 turned out perfect and I didn't change anything. I just don't understand why it's not settling to the bottom. It still has a great taste at least.

How hot did you boil it to before your 1st filtering?
    2020 same
    2019 RB10 26 taps
    2018 RO Bucket RB5 taps 20, leg tank in shed w/2 5/16
    2017 18 taps
    2016 20 taps
    2015 21 taps
    2014 30 2 gravity line, 2 hotel pan concrete arch 35 g leg tank
    2013 LP hook up in shack buckets 12 taps
    2 burner cook top 2012 finisher on a bbq tanks
    2011 rookie 2+ gal
    8 taps w/ milk jugs
    turkey cooker
    50-60 up back maybe

I've had this happen to me a couple times and the DE usually done the trick. I brought it to a full boil and added the DE. You need to get it mixed in good, use an electric mixer even. I used probably 1/4-1/3 cup in a small batch of 1/2 -1 gallon. I use two prefilters and a orlon final. If it's still there then it's just too fine, you're stuck with it.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by to100 View Post
    How hot did you boil it to before your 1st filtering?
    I took it to 219, filtered it. Noticed it was cloudy, took it back to 180 and refiltered. Noticed it was still cloudy and after a week, it still didn’t settle to the bottom. Bought new filters, took it to 185 in a double boiler and filtered it again... looks a little better, but still has suspended cloudiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    I've had this happen to me a couple times and the DE usually done the trick. I brought it to a full boil and added the DE. You need to get it mixed in good, use an electric mixer even. I used probably 1/4-1/3 cup in a small batch of 1/2 -1 gallon. I use two prefilters and a orlon final. If it's still there then it's just too fine, you're stuck with it.
    Thanks buckeye! I’m guessing that’s what it is as well. I’ll try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/4 cup is good for 1/2 gal. With the syrup over 200F it will mix in just stirring. I use a whip (like a potato whip) but mine is over 2' long. Even a plastic spatula will work well. Mix until all in suspension then pour the mix into the cone filter. Then only heat it to 185 to bottle. The DE will actually be the filter, your orlon and pre-filters will just give it a surface to form on. I'd be very surprised if the fines get thru the DE cake that will form. However, you may want to run it thru 2x. Do not remove the filter cake to pour it thru the second time. If once thru shows anything but very clear syrup it is because some got thru before the filter cake of DE was not yet thick enough.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast