+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bad wood?

Default Bad wood?

I just put in three taps, my son will help with the others tomorrow, all in trees I have tapped before. In the second tree, I believe I hit bad wood. The shavings had clean white, "good" wood, mixed with a browner, almost splintered look. Sorry the pic isn't great. The two other trees began running immediate. This one did not, which I know doesn't necessarily mean anything. All set back from my drive, but are the first trees in the woods, so have more sun exposure. The tree which this came from is large and can definitely support 2 taps.

So the question is, is this in fact bad wood? If so, should I pull the tap? If so, am I good to go ahead and tap in another location on this tree since it could support 2? And presumably, if I do, and the next tap also is bad wood, I shouldn't put anything else in.

Thanks for the help.
    20190228_154505.jpg
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Try it, but also, as long as the tap hole is there, set a tap where it looks like brown wood. It may run some, but likely not much.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I tapped one where the wood looked like that and on closer observation the tree was dead. There weren't any new buds on it anywhere.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

It will probably run some and stop running sooner in the season than the other good taps. If this is a two tap tree go ahead and tap it again well away from the bad tap spot. If the tree was healthy looking last summer you should be able to find good wood.
    Last edited by Ed R; 03-01-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Try not to drill too deep.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This tree definitely was in full (summer) glory last year. Didn't have a ton of flow, in any of my taps yesterday, and there was a bit of in its jug. I'll leave it be, and will probably throw another tap in and see if its better. Thanks.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

You most likely on the bad one drilled into a compartment, either an old tap hole or maybe even a broken off limb above, the tree sealed that area off forever. What sap you still get will be from the new wood before you drilled into the compartment.
    A maple tree compartmentalizes each tap hole or other areas where it loses sap. That area will never again carry sap. From a tap hole the area may be as wide as maybe 2" at the tap hole, often narrower and it can extend about 18" above and below the tap hole. As the tree grows after than, it adds new wood over that compartment, wood that when it gets thick enough can again be tapped as long as you don't drill deep enough to enter the old compartment.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Not a spot I previously tapped, I did look for that. But, I do think there is an old broken limb above. When I go out I'll take a look to help me understand.

I understand that the old holes, once the seal, have an area that is "closed off" in the future. Hence, why we place taps over/under and side to side from priors, or at least that was my understanding. I didn't understand that that theoretically, down the road, you could have enough new growth that you could have sap flowing in front of, so to speak, the old wound.

This helps explain Michael Greer's comment about not drilling too deep.
    ~Janet

+ Reply to Thread