+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UP tapping

I tapped 100 on Sunday and Monday. A few had up to a gallon or two today but most had a pint to a quart. Looks good in a few days though
    2006 - 12 taps on open fire
    2011 - 50 taps new 2 x 4 flat pan + warmer
    2012 - 65 taps new 16 x 16 sugar shack
    2013- 75 taps and no more, well maybe 85 now
    2016-97 taps
    1 Lab and my wife's Springer

Quote Originally Posted by UPventrure View Post
    I'm with Plungerke. I believe you were out there last season.
    Was wondering how u guys were doing. Sap was flowing yesterday. Collected 135 gal on snowshoes will be starting a boil here shortly. If u guys are up to slumming n a beer i could meet u at odettes gate when i can get a wheeler to it. Probably take another week of melting tho.

Sounds good. We were out in snow shoes yesterday too. We only picked 65 gallons. In a couple weeks wheelers are probably going to be the preferred method of travel. The roads know its spring. ��

Default Updated RO

Goose52
    Here is the updated RO system, made it shine this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Latitude location: 45° 51' 48.0" N
    2013 - 48 taps and a home made arch / pan = 19 gallons
    2014 - 74 taps and counting, upgrades to Arch
    2015 - 98 taps and counting, NEW custom made Arch, 30hp New Holland tractor
    2016 - 0 taps :-( had to skip this year
    2017 - 100 taps and back in the game
    2018 - 145 taps, NEW Sugar Shack & family and friends to help.
    2019 - 170 taps, 30 gallons of Sticky Bush syrup
    2020 - planning on retailing some Sticky Bush
    2021 - adding gravity pipeline with 60 taps

Just put 25 taps up. Will do more tomorrow. Slow drip. I think we are just starting. In the watersmeet area

Quote Originally Posted by Plungerke View Post
    Goose52
    Here is the updated RO system, made it shine this time.
    as usual your fabrication amazes me! awesome!
    speaking of fabrication, my son has a bug up his butt to make a new arch for next year but has mislaid his plans. do you have any plans or dimensions for something like that?
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by Alpal12 View Post
    Just put 25 taps up. Will do more tomorrow. Slow drip. I think we are just starting. In the watersmeet area
    alpal, i pulled my taps this past weekend but u are probably just smarter than me. i think u will get plenty of sap and will not have to fight as much snow as we did (altho u get more in the bond falls area than we get here). good luck!
    mark

We had a pretty good weekend. Went through 320 gallons of sap ranging from 2-3% and made 11 gallons of syrup. My daughter jumped in and helped haul firewood and washed some barrels.

PSFix_20190407_213201.jpgIMG_20190407_114300.jpg
    IMG_20190408_084312_206.jpg

Default I messed up.

Have about 30 taps set up. I dont live in the UP, family has a lakehouse so our caretaker gathers the sap for me during the week then I come up on the weekend to boil. Didn’t get up there until about 1 am on friday and then woke up at 6 am to get all the boiling equipment ready. Started boiling around 9:30 am. Had an astonishing brix reading of 3.9. About 3pm on saturday I started feeling the lack of sleep and was exhausted from hauling buckets and equipment around all morning. Fell asleep while sitting on my couch. Woke up about 45 minutes later and immediately realised that I had passed out for too long. Ran outside to charred, burnt maple syrup. 2 gallons of syrup made from a little over 40 gallons of sap down the drain. If you were in the UP on Satyrday April 6, 2019 and heard someone screaming and cussing at the top of their lungs, that was me.

Oh no! That sucks, hopefully you get some more decent weather and sap along with it. I've got an auto-feed on my setup this year that's been a big help. It's an insurance against nodding off or getting too busy. I tend to keep it flowing in at just slightly faster than it can boil off (on average). That way if I get busy/fall asleep and forget about it the worst that'll happen is it'll fill the boiling pan with sap as the fire slows.
    All my life I wanted to make my own syrup. Now I'm livin' the dream!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast