+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driftless region tapping

Default Driftless region tapping

After missing all of last seasons action due to a slip on the ice and breaking my femur January 2018 and only being able to live vicariously through this site, I'm more than itching to get through with this years cold snaps and heavy snows and get into woods and make some liquid gold. Looks like at least another 2 weeks according to weather forecast, but that doesn't mean can't start dreaming of tapping. Looking forward to reading and following my fellow "God's Country" sappers and their endeavors this year, and seeing when everyone's first taps, first runs, and first boils start. Prepping taps and bags right now, got about 40 taps secured so far, and would like to get another 20-30. Just a hobby, but sure is fun, and I'll tell you from experience, having to sit on the sidelines for a year was torture, so enjoy every year you are able to get out, as Father Time eventually catches up with all of us. Here's to high sugar %'s, stable weather patterns, and long boil days with a few "adult beverages" consumed!

I like your thought process but looks like it might be late in march to get started got my snowshoes out yesterday

I always keep my snowshoes hanging where I can get them if needed, so far this year that has kept deep snow at bay here. Just 30 miles north and it's a much different picture, I think they put their snow shoes away, they now have major snow.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Awe common its only up to our waist here in Sugar Camp WI ha ha Jay
    Second Snow Storm Feb 12 2019 (5).jpg
    Zucker Lager

West branch Kickapoo River Valley, Southwestern Wisconsin

Hi Twisted, Boy a broken femur ouch. This winters deep snow will give you real a work out, I am down by the west branch of the kickapoo river, and lots of white stuff there also.Yes maple syrup is a lot of work but the experience is worth it. God Bless.
    12x16 Sugar House 2x6 Maple Pro wood fired evaporator Arctic Cat 4x4 1980 Snowmobile 225 taps on buckets 17 Taps on 3/16th tubing on steep hillside

Today made up 40 drop lines for one woods, and 24 bags on pvc hangers for a couple other properties in preperaration for tapping tomorrow come hell or high water, or more than likely high snowfall. Whose with me?

Started raining at 12:45 pm today. We'll see how the storm plays out down here in Crawford County. I plan on putting in a few sample taps tomorrow before the Badger game. Monday it looks like "game on" for my 2019 season.
    2019 47 taps and 10.75 gallons of syrup
    2020 45 taps and 21.25 gallons of syrup
    2021 50 taps and 13.5 gallons of syrup
    2022 50 taps and 18.5 gallons of syrup
    2023 49 taps and 18 gallons of syrup
    2024 49 taps and 9.75 gallons of syrup

56 acres above the Mississippi River in SW Wisconsin
    43.01N

As has become my routine, I see what Irish Ridge is doing and then give my north facing sugar bush another week before tapping :-) Feels like it could be a short season. Good luck everyone!

2014 - Cinder block fire box, 2 roaster pans (thanks Mom), mix of 11 red and sugar maples tapped, 1.75G syrup.
    2015 - Same fire box reconfigured for Smoky Lake 24" x 33" pan. 17 taps on 16 trees with tubing to 5 gal buckets. 114g sap down to 2 3/4g
    beautiful syrup.
    2016 - Cinder block fire box is holding up fine. 20 taps, 155 G sap, 3.37G syrup. Great fun with friends.
    2017 - 21 taps on 5 gallon buckets. Good sap runs and reached my goal of producing 5 G syrup.

Tapped today, 10 bags, and 3 tubing runs totalling 50 taps. Trees were running pretty good, got rained out before could finish. Going to place remaining taps tomorrow, and make first sap collection. Plan on doing first boil likely Monday or Tuesday. In my neck of the woods, season is here.

Well, Mother Nature was cruel. Last week just when I thought trees were going to start, had too warm of temps and barely had anything other than rain in bags. Today though, things finally let loose. Bags were filling up fast yesterday out in open fields, and today my lines in the woods were running like a faucet. Finally going to start boiling!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast