+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: continuous flow. continuous darkening

Default continuous flow. continuous darkening

first time with continuous flow pan. (2x4 drop flue hybrid) I notice the syrup getting darker and richer with every draw. I also notice an increase in dark niter particles in the pan and prefilters. Been boilin about 6-8 hrs a day for a week or so. Does anyone drain the pan at any point to start fresh? The first few draws were nice real light amber color, and also if I make a small batch on a flat pan, it will be much lighter this time of year. The last few draws are dark amber, yet I get nice clarity with a few prefilters and orlon filter.
    Is it possible to have too much niter in the pan? or should I relax and have another beer?
    thanks!

Couple questions?
    With a continuious flow rig you should produce the lightest syrup Ma Nature gives you. That doesnt mean it may not darken as the sap season and bacteria change in your process. Have seen all that.
    Now if your boiling 6-8 hours per day. May I ask how much syrup your producing each day?
    I boiled 6 hours last night and made 13 gallons of Amber syrup as an example, Yep I was using a continious flow system. Last syrup look same as the first.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

If you have any appreciable niter build-up you need to either: a) reverse the flow if your rig allows it or b) clean the pans. Allowing niter to accumulate will definitely result in darker syrup, and risks imparting a burnt-niter off-flavor and burning/warping of pan (even with liquid still in the pan).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Couple questions?
    With a continuious flow rig you should produce the lightest syrup Ma Nature gives you. That doesnt mean it may not darken as the sap season and bacteria change in your process. Have seen all that.
    Now if your boiling 6-8 hours per day. May I ask how much syrup your producing each day?
    I boiled 6 hours last night and made 13 gallons of Amber syrup as an example, Yep I was using a continious flow system. Last syrup look same as the first.
    Regards,
    Chris
    The amount per day has been increasing. the last few days I've gotten about 2 gallons per day. Its only a 2x4, and the arch is not that great design. (gbm) and the fire is hard to keep consistent. I think im only getting about 12 gph average.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    If you have any appreciable niter build-up you need to either: a) reverse the flow if your rig allows it or b) clean the pans. Allowing niter to accumulate will definitely result in darker syrup, and risks imparting a burnt-niter off-flavor and burning/warping of pan (even with liquid still in the pan).
    thanks Tim! That was my gut feeling.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by canaanmaple View Post
    thanks Tim! That was my gut feeling.
    You're welcome. I've seen some really ugly, warped beyond fixing pans caused by excessive niter build-up. Scrap metal at that point. Keep them clean and you'll be much happier.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Do you think it is a bad idea to fire the 2x4 hybrid evaporator for only 4 hours or so each night? (day job) I am wondering if it is causing too much mixing of the syrup dividers into the flue dividers when doing so. I know on bigger rigs with separate pans, people say they can close the valve off between the flue pan and syrup pan when shutting down. I don't have that luxury, but I could always use a flat piece of stainless or something to close off the hole between the flue pan and front pans if that would make a significant difference? thanks!

I have a leader 2x4 Vermonter all in one pan hooked to a 2x2 flat pan that I use as a preheater pan which I can valve off. I have plugs for between the syrup portion panels and between the front pan and flue portion. The biggy is to remember to unplug when you start up the next boil. Boil every night you need to, its better than letting the sap stack up. I would use a flat piece of stainless an a clamp or two.

>Is it possible to have too much niter in the pan? or should I relax and have another beer?

These are not mutually exclusive.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Slide a nylon spatula at 45 degrees pointing away from you and pull it towards you on the bottom of the pan, if you feel a drag, clean the pan. If the spatula slides on a smooth bottom, you don't need to clean it yet.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast