+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping Container Sugar shack

Used the original framing just removed the plastic and added metal,[/QUOTE]

In your original version, what's protecting the chimney? Rigid insulation? Something else?

I've not gotten past the temporary wind walls we put up with plywood. Nothing protected more than 4' high and nothing overhead. All the posts I hear about what people have done and I think I'll get there some point. But, I boil in the middle of our yard every year. I think I could manage the framing and plastic sheeting.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

On my first shack I just had cement board behind the stove pipe. Still using the cement board. No insulation.The stove pipe is about 4 inches from the cement board and it does not seem to get warm at all, only where the pipe goes through but that has about a 1/2 gap around the pipe...no thimble.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

It’s an idea in its infancy and I need to crunch the numbers more as you’ve suggested. Thanks for the input!!
    Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    With a cupola, windows and a hood on the pan(s) plus the smoke stack out it should be OK. I suggest however you calculate your cost for the finished sugarhouse and compare that with a ready made shed. While it's bigger than you are talking, I bought a 14x28 Amish built shed with a hip roof about 16 months ago for $7280. It has extra runners under the floor and an 8W x 7.5'H double door plus 2 man doors 3x6'8". I drive my 4000# tractor with a cab in it and store it inside. If you were to get something similar you would still need to add a cupola and cut in the stack plus protect the floor by the evaporator, but it may prove handier.

Good to hear from someone who’s tried it and moved on. I was actually thinking about T&G pine on the inside to help with moisture as well as help keeping it warmish. Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    Been there, done that.

Attachment 19527

Details:
    - I had the box from a construction demolition project at the Shelburne Museum. It was part of a display called the Kakilns House (https://www.designboom.com/architect...-kalkin-house/)

- It had openings cut into the sides for mandoors (made barn door for it) and in the roof (perfect for steam outlet).

- Worked but very wet inside. and cooled off very quickly.

- It was a novel idea that was always meant to be temporary until we got our sugarhouse built. Now its a storage barn

- The box was free and it wouldn't have worth it to pay more than the improvements I made.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    On my first shack I just had cement board behind the stove pipe. Still using the cement board. No insulation.The stove pipe is about 4 inches from the cement board and it does not seem to get warm at all, only where the pipe goes through but that has about a 1/2 gap around the pipe...no thimble.
    Thanks for the tip.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by In da bush View Post
    Good to hear from someone who’s tried it and moved on. I was actually thinking about T&G pine on the inside to help with moisture as well as help keeping it warmish. Thanks again!!
    The T&G Pine would help but another problem is to push the steam out. I would recommend a hood system for anyone using a steel building. The flat ceiling was a real problem with lots of condensate.

On the positive side it made a great story and certainly fit the Vermont culture of making use of what you have. Here's a couple more looks:

20170307_184405.jpg20170331_195650.jpg
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 02-26-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I was actually thinking about putting a cupola to mimic a traditional sugar shack even more so.
    Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    The T&G Pine would help but another problem is to push the steam out. I would recommend a hood system for anyone using a steel building. The flat ceiling was a real problem with lots of condensate.

On the positive side it made a great story and certainly fit the Vermont culture of making use of what you have. Here's a couple more looks:

Attachment 19544Attachment 19545

I picked up three shipping containers for $1700 each to be a foundation for my garage. They are great to work with because you can weld tabs anywhere on them. All you need to do is weld tabs on it to build a gable roof over the top as well as implementing a cupola. If you have one go for it. I would think cutting windows and a door would also be a good idea.
    garagemahal.jpg
    2016- 32 taps, 3 1/2 gallons
    2017- 150 taps, 13 gallons after building an evaporator
    2018- goal is 240+ taps. 20+ gallons.
    2018 Reality- 235 taps, 5 gallons of syrup. Average 50 birch taps and 3 gallons of syrup.
    2019- 180 maple taps, 20 gallons of finished syrup.
    ~ 160 birch taps, 13 finished gallons of syrup.

Latitude 47.278150

www.facebook.com/livingoffmyland2015

That’s a STEAL of a deal,they really are just big Legos. Nice garage

I’m interested in this idea. Haven’t found much on the topic. Anyone have any other information, pictures, plans?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12