+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Container Sugar shack

Default Shipping Container Sugar shack

I’ve been thinking about building a sugar shack for a while, and then the idea of using a shipping container popped into my head. It would obviously be easy enough to get a container, and then just converted into what would be needed for my small operation. This will be for next year not this year, Any thoughts?

I'm curious about your thought process. Boiling sap in a metal box, to me, would be just about the most soul-killing thing I could imagine. What is your goal? If it's to simply boil some sap out of the rain and wind...sure. I suppose a shipping container would work. Then again, so would a tarp. Not sure how much these things cost? But then add to that all of the modifications you'd have to do to make it more than just boiling sap in a tin can and I'd imagine it would be cheaper in the end to just build a shack. A shack would also look a lot nicer. So yeah, what are you looking to gain by boiling in a shipping container?
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by In da bush View Post
    I’ve been thinking about building a sugar shack for a while, and then the idea of using a shipping container popped into my head. It would obviously be easy enough to get a container, and then just converted into what would be needed for my small operation. This will be for next year not this year, Any thoughts?
    Uhhmmm well as someone who boiled last season using a tiny cheapass little tin garden shed...it worked but was a phenonemal pain in the butt. It wasn't vented for steam so each time I slid open the doors I'd be enveloped by moisture. Novelty soon wore off. Lots of condensation inside the shed, which damped the wood in there and made it harder to burn.

Which is why I got a bunch of shipping pallets and some sheet metal and made me a teeny little sugar shack this past year. It's got soffits so it will vent out the steam and smoke and there will be much better airflow. Meaning that wood inside won't get soggy and cause creosote buildup, which also happened last year with the tin shed.

So do yourself a favour and just build one from shipping pallets. Unless you really do want a ton of needless work spent modifying a shipping container.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

I don't know if you're planning to rent the shipping container or buy it. If you're renting you can't cut holes in it or do any other modifications to let the steam and smoke out and let in some natural light.

I would look into a prefab shed. In my town I can build a 100 sq/ft building without a permit. That would let me build an 12x8 shed which is 96 sq/ft. I would build a cupola on the roof to let the steam out and add a couple of windows to let the sun in. There would be plenty of room inside for a small evaporator like a 1/2 pint. You could even put a 2x6 in there but it would be really tight.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I agree with Russ, build a small shack. I have a 10x16 the Amish built me on skids. It cost me $2500.00 and has a vent and they built in the roof jack. I bet a container would cost you that with no modifications. My shack is 5 years old and still in great shape.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Mine is just 2x3 framing with corrugated metal for the roof and siding. I think i'm all in at around $800 for an 8x8 shed. Nothing fancy but keeps me dry and out of the wind and everything maple related is stored in 1 spot.
    Attachment 19516Attachment 19515

Used the original framing just removed the plastic and added metal,
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

The shipping container as is being just a starting point, it would be modified to look more like a sugar shack with a Cupolla etc. it would provide a very sturdy base and is easily modified. I would be looking at only a 20’ high cube foot shipping container. I do my wood in IBC cages and it would be very easy to load wood into the container and move it with a pallet jack.

I know it has been done before. There are a bunch of guys in our area that us them for tank storage and vac houses. You are correct very solid and strong, you can get them cheap, and they are easily modified. And I would think would be considered a temporary structure for permitting.

Go for it. Post picks when you are started and done.
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

With a cupola, windows and a hood on the pan(s) plus the smoke stack out it should be OK. I suggest however you calculate your cost for the finished sugarhouse and compare that with a ready made shed. While it's bigger than you are talking, I bought a 14x28 Amish built shed with a hip roof about 16 months ago for $7280. It has extra runners under the floor and an 8W x 7.5'H double door plus 2 man doors 3x6'8". I drive my 4000# tractor with a cab in it and store it inside. If you were to get something similar you would still need to add a cupola and cut in the stack plus protect the floor by the evaporator, but it may prove handier.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Been there, done that.

20170321_155746.jpg

Details:
    - I had the box from a construction demolition project at the Shelburne Museum. It was part of a display called the Kakilns House (https://www.designboom.com/architect...-kalkin-house/)

- It had openings cut into the sides for mandoors (made barn door for it) and in the roof (perfect for steam outlet).

- Worked but very wet inside. and cooled off very quickly.

- It was a novel idea that was always meant to be temporary until we got our sugarhouse built. Now its a storage barn

- The box was free and it wouldn't have worth it to pay more than the improvements I made.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast