+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Needham

Default Tapped in Needham

24 gravity buckets for the Needham neighborhood sugar bush are tapped. Weather forecast looks great:
    2/24: 46/33
    2/25: 30/10
    2/26: 28/19
    2/27: 37/21
    2/28: 39/30
    3/1: 45/31
    3/2: 37/20

Folks down the road from me tapped Friday. Tonight's high winds, and the current freezing rain, has me holding at least until tomorrow afternoon, as I don't feel like chasing down containers. Happy sugarin'!
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Great run yesterday but wind def. blowing buckets off this a.m. - I even left a gallon in the bottom to try and hold 'em down.

In past years, there were periods were I resorted to tie-down straps or bungee cords, to avoid losing map buckets/sap.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

I always put a brick on the coverto hold em down
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Quote Originally Posted by eustis22 View Post
    I always put a brick on the coverto hold em down
    Never thought of that. Might need to try that this year. Easier than trying to tie around a tree.
    ~Janet

I don’t know if bricks on top would have done the trick yesterday in Harvard where I live. Multiple large trees blow over or snapped and many power lines down. But that was obviously a very unusual occurrence. I’ve had my buckets blow off in less wind. One large branch of a tree fell on top of one tubing line - will have to repair that one.

Since last Thursday I’ve collected about 140 gallons from 75 taps.

Tom
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

Yesterday was wicked. Lots of tree debris, fortunately nothing big near the house, and I don't think any of my tapping trees are affected. Lots of road closed with downed trees and wires, the largest impacted road was finally open again about an hour ago.

But, I did hold off. 10 day forecast has nothing over 40 and only two days in the upper 30s. Wondering if I'll tap at the end of the week to catch those two days. Saw NWS issued a noticed that they expect first two weeks of March to be colder than normal across the country.
    ~Janet

Definitely need to change my weather forecasting app! Should have waited....

Hindsight is everything. My taps are out an ready to go, just gave the 5 gallon storage buckets their pre-season vinegar rinse. Looking at the 10 day forecast and still wondering what's right. Friday through Monday looks, although Monday in single digits for the long. But, then the rest of the forecast I can see is predicted below freezing and quite cold lows. Hmm.
    ~Janet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast