+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Needham

We just picked up some pallets to do one last burn too but the smelled TERRIBLE while they were burning - dark black/brown smoke too. We're are thinking they must have had some sort of preservative in them. The clean white pine pallets we used at the start of the season were perfect. Too bad we ran out. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Ntatar View Post
    We just picked up some pallets to do one last burn too but the smelled TERRIBLE while they were burning - dark black/brown smoke too. We're are thinking they must have had some sort of preservative in them. The clean white pine pallets we used at the start of the season were perfect. Too bad we ran out. Sigh...
    How frustrating! Someone told me this info my 2nd year burning pallets -- when they cautioned me that some could contain chemicals. Maybe this will help for future pallet runs. (At my Ace, I've avoiding any that have paint on them, and for the most part the remainder have either been heat treated or kiln dried. The codes are marked on the pallets...

The IPPC stamp: if you don't see it, use it with caution! A pallet may be perfectly safe without this logo, but you don't have clear information.
    The treatment code : [HT] = Heat treatment / [MB] = Methyl Bromide / [DB] = Debarked / [KD] = Kiln Dried.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Good to know! I'll be giving the store owner a gallon of syrup as a thank you and remind him to call us as soon as he starts collecting the clean pine pallets. We chopped up 75 this year. I think we'll try to get 120 next year just in case it turns out to be an amazing season.

I learned that I could stack 6 pallets in my van per load. I never reached 75, but my sap load is lower than yours... my trees just aren't great producers. For the 13 taps I've put in the last few years, you'd think I'd have a greater quantity of sap to boil. This year I boiled only 54 gals, that doesn't account for ice dumped, but maybe, just maybe that would total 3 gals, but I suspect not.

Pulled 12 taps yesterday, left 1 in the driveway sugar that was still producing, until this morning. I was boiling today, the last 3.5 gals that I'd collected (since the 22nd.) Pulled that last tap when I took its bucket to add to the boil today.

All told just over 3/4 gal syrup. It's all light in color and flavor. (I don't know the actual grades.) None of mine was dark in color or robust in flavor. I have to say that I do prefer the stronger maple flavor to the lighter vanilla/marshmallow flavor. Still delicious none-the-less, and for the darker, I'll buy from my local farmer's market Vermont small producer who I've gotten to know.

To those still boiling enjoy the rest of your season.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntatar View Post
    I would bet the pallets were made of poplar. I have burned some and it smells terrible and makes lots of black smoke.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Totally possible! I asked our guy about timing for next season. He said August is when his pallet supply cranks up - apparently most snow blowers are bought in Aug. Because of the tax free weekend that falls around this time. Who knew?!

Tapped in Needham this weekend - Feb 23. First day was 27 at night and 60 the next day. We’ve been collecting the buckets 2x a day over the last 3 days to keep up. Expecting a slowdown with night temps creeping into the 40s. Could be back in business this weekend if temps drop back down. Reds (5) have been slow or dry but sugars (25) are gushing.

Sap is producing around 2% but Syrup has been darker than I’ve seen in the last five years. Warm temps and no snow?

Tapped in Needham and planning to run the RO machine all day today (2/26) and boil down tomorrow (2/27). Excited and the run is STRONG!

Anyone tapping out here in Metro West.? Extended forecast makes it look like it’s reasonable to start. I’ve been burned too many times to wanna jump in but I’m worried I’m going to miss the window… I’m all gravity buckets and drop lines

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast