+ Reply to Thread

Thread: milky sediment

Default milky sediment

After 2-3 filtering with double or triple cone filters, I still have a milky sediment in bottom of jars. Is this niter or something else.

almost certainly niter. Are you heating at all after filtering?
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Describe your filtering and bottling process. How do you clean your main filter? Has it even once been wrung to get it drier? What temperature is the syrup when you filter and at what temperature do you bottle?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have to ask an obvious question. Are your cone filters final filters or prefilters (paper). Assuming you are using a combination of prefilters and final filters I would guess your filters are worn out or compromised. However, I have had a couple years where I could not get syrup clear, the nitre was just too fine. In those years I added some filter aid and it helped. After that I just lived with a little sediment. That has only happened twice in 10 years.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

A new cone filter and 4-5 new prefilters. After all the work you do to get this far you need good bottling procedures. Also do not reheat your filtered syrup. Bottle right after filtering at the proper temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    I have to ask an obvious question. Are your cone filters final filters or prefilters (paper). Assuming you are using a combination of prefilters and final filters I would guess your filters are worn out or compromised. However, I have had a couple years where I could not get syrup clear, the nitre was just too fine. In those years I added some filter aid and it helped. After that I just lived with a little sediment. That has only happened twice in 10 years.
    Filter Aid in a cone filter? I’ve always wanted to try it, how much did you use per gallon?
    1990-2013 - 35+, 7/16, on milk jugs+3gal galv buckets, 55gal drum firebox, 125 year old 10 gallon porcelain pot, outdoor boiling fun.
    2014 - 40+ Built a 10x12 sugar shack, new 2x3 Mason.
    2015-2023 - 75+ 5/16 Buckets, 3/16 tube, DIY RoBucket, on the mason in the shack, me, the dogs, sometimes the ole'lady, and defiantly a few beers.

Yes all filtering is done with a combination heavy final filter and 2-3 pre filters. my first year I may have squeezed my final filter a little to hard, so bought a new one. I rinse it inside out with hot water and let drip dry. I uaually bottle after the second filter at the 185-190. During my initial finishing I'm wondering if my temp gets to 217 and i may keep it there a little to long. And i realize every year can be different, so I add extra pre filters accordingly. Thanks to everyone for the help.

+ Reply to Thread