+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Hop Kiln Road 2019

Default Update

Sugar 2.3%; Grade 54%; volumes inching toward average season.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Still nice sap. Sugar staying at 2.3% but grade dropped to 52. Just went over 125 gal so probably won't hit average this year. Planning on pulling the taps after Friday nights freeze as I don't think its worth gumming up the systems for a little dark syrup. Been following the Tucker Mtn Challenge on SLACK. 800 kids involved this year and I expect 12 to 15 entries which will be judged at the Statehouse on April 30th.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

23F this morning so there should be some sap today. Decided to leave yesterday's right in the field tanks. Tonight's low is 33F and warm air rises this time of year so its always a little warmer than the forecast. Going to pull the taps this weekend and organize my fertilizing crew. Preliminary results looks like the orchards that have been thinned and fertilized the longest did the best, again. Also waiting to see the results of my buddy who has 1000 taps using the Star .177 thin walls.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Default Tally Ho

Looks like .19 gpt of syrup on one of my lightest seasonal sap flows. No sustained runs and nights and mornings just a little too cold. Sugar, grade and flavor above average with 85% of the syrup 58%+. Best sap/sugar performers were the two orchards thinned and fertilized the longest. The poorest orchard was partial thinned 2 years ago and produced the highest sap yield this year. The two bottom performers this year were the new too flat drain lines. Thinking about shurflow pumps at the upper ends and pumping straight up 4 to 6 feet to get a 2%+ slope so the drain pipes don't freeze solid every night like this year. Might also wait until the feeling goes away.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456