+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Brunswick 2019

Default New Brunswick 2019

Well, I am tired of the snow, wishing for warmer weather, and tapping no matter what March 1st. Maybe for the 1st time ever it won't be a last minute weather change and a panic trip to the lot to tap trees. Looks like it will be well into March before any good flows around Southern NB.

Just getting the thread going as I enjoyed the pics and discussion in past years from other hobby folks in NB.

cheers,
    Geoff
    Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
    2014 - 4 Taps
    2015 - 8 Taps
    2016 - 12 taps, propane boiler 6L
    2017 - 100 Taps, 24L
    2018 - 100 Taps, 100L
    1.5x6 CDL Econo Evaporator

I'm with you. Keep checking the forecast and it looks like it might happen then day time temps plummet again. Another mess on the way this weekend, definitely going to need the snow shoes when it does warm up. Been looking at the trader daily to see what others are up to. Hope we have a good season whenever it arrives.

Looks like mid march for us to in my area, at least 3 feet of snow in the woods, I started shoveling my main lines last weekend, some of it was under a foot of snow.
    675 taps

We will start in the woods March break(first full week). Have doing some small stuff, got a new bottler & modifying it to suit us, & building an adjustable stand for it. Also having an air tight door built for evaporator to help keep more heat in. Getting anxious to get started, had enough of this crap!
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

We have decided to push tapping out another week to March 8th, hopefully the weather doesn't turn next week and we miss the first run but its just so cold and with the mess on the weekend I don't see the point of hanging my buckets.
    Geoff
    Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
    2014 - 4 Taps
    2015 - 8 Taps
    2016 - 12 taps, propane boiler 6L
    2017 - 100 Taps, 24L
    2018 - 100 Taps, 100L
    1.5x6 CDL Econo Evaporator

Default New Brunswick 2019

Getting ready here. I put up a mainline last week and will run laterals this week. I don’t have much experience with tubing so I hope everything is correct when I’m done. I know when the snow goes my lines will be very high in the air. Last year I didn’t tap due to work commitments but 2 years ago I had about 75 taps on a 5/16 line with a shurflo on it for vacuum. I took it down and going to put the pump on the mainline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nemo5; 03-04-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    110 taps,buckets
    Homemade 2 x 3
    1983 ski-doo citation
    2007 Big Bear
    3 young pail dumpers
    http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/Nemo5_photos/

We started tapping & doing repairs as we go yesterday. Wow, what a lot of snow! We were sinking, with snow shoes on at least a foot, usually 18 inches every step. Tough going, you don't get in a hurry. Very hard on this old fat guy, but we got quite a bit done. Hopefully will have most done by weekend.
    Murray

1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    Air over & under fire

I stopped after work and tapped 26. When I started, I was shocked to see it dripping slowly. By the 4th bucket, it had froze up. I plan on putting the rest in tonight after work. I don't want to miss any. Looks like it could be possible on the weekend, next week for sure.

The boy and I put a little over 100 taps in so far, had the lines mostly run last weekend, just tapping and a few repairs today. One more neighbour to run lines on tomorrow and I should be set for the tsunami. Modifications on the arch need to take place in the next while....i had my pan too close to the stack last year...

Last weekend, an older feller down the road asked me to switch him over to tubing, he explained that he wouldn't be able to run the buckets this year due to knee problems. We put about 50 taps in, he has a GREAT spot, grade is 3/16th worthy and he has a couple hundred maples in a little draw which ends in a little cliff by the road. He is going to put a ball valve on the bottom of the collection barrel so he can just drain it into another barrel on his trailer. Its a pretty sweet setup. I may have spoiled him though, lol.
    2014 - 6 buckets, 4 coffee cans and a propane burner - almost 40L of sap and 1.6L of syrup
    2015 - 103 taps on gravity. Homemade oil tank arch and a Smoky Lake 2' X 5' hybrid. - 2.66 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 101 taps, 550 gallons of sap, ~10 gallons of syrup all dark.
    2017 - 138 taps, 225 gallons of sap, 5.55 gallons of dark syrup, still procrastinating on the vac.
    2018 - ~150 taps, I lost track of the sap it was incredible!, over 20 gal of syrup, all dark.

All tapped & line repairs done. Repairs weren't too bad, some squirrel damage & a few broken branches. Thanks to a bunch of people tramping & shoveling lines out, wow we've got a lot of snow. Now if the weather would turn around & be decent!
    Murray

1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    Air over & under fire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast