+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very strange question

Default A very strange question

So I have a question. I realize it’s odd and strange, but still I’m going to ask it. I have a 2x3 mason with 3 section pan. Does anyone have any ideas on materials I could use to plug the trianglur holes between dividers? It would need to be heat resistant and provide a seal. My predicament is I can only boil on weekends. Weeknight boiling is not an option to keep up with sap production. What I would like to be able to do is on Sunday night be able to pour off the sweet from the individual sections and store them separately until Friday night when I can fire up again at which point I could pour the sweet back into their respective section, let settle so it won’t remix , then pull the divider plugs and hit it for the weekend. My issue is basically it takes me forever to get any draw offs because I have to empty the pan ever weekend and finish inside on the stove. the way I run now I basically just batch boil in a divided pan. Any suggestions appreciated.
    1990-2013 - 35+, 7/16, on milk jugs+3gal galv buckets, 55gal drum firebox, 125 year old 10 gallon porcelain pot, outdoor boiling fun.
    2014 - 40+ Built a 10x12 sugar shack, new 2x3 Mason.
    2015-2023 - 75+ 5/16 Buckets, 3/16 tube, DIY RoBucket, on the mason in the shack, me, the dogs, sometimes the ole'lady, and defiantly a few beers.

Not strange at all, to me! I have the same predicament. Luckily my Smoky Lake full pint pan has round holes; I get plugs from the local home-brew shop and put them in with long bbq tongs at the end of each night.

With the triangular holes, I'd find some food safe and heat resistant material - perhaps neoprene? - in a large stopper and trim it to fit. If you taper it you should be able to get a snug seal.
    Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Backyard sugarmaker since around 1986
    Generally setting out 70 taps in a small village in western Mass
    Boiling on Leader Half-Pint arch with Smoky Lake Full Pint drop flue pan

Possibly just get some sheet metal, either aluminum or stainless steel, then use a spring clamp to hold the sheet metal in place on the divider blocking your pass thrus. You don't need a water tight seal to hold your gradient in place you just need to make it hard for the water to move.

If you really wanted to get a seal get a cheap silicon baking /grilling mat cut that up into a pieces then use the sheet metal trick above just sandwich the silicon mat between the divider and sheet metal.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Back when I was using my divided 2x4 flat pan I would just let it sit between boils, and let it mix. It didn't really take all that long to reestablish a gradient again once boiling started again. If you wanted, you could slowly draw off the sweetest you have and store that, then pour it back in near the draw-off once you start back up. Gives you a little head start on gradient again.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

I use a 2x4 Mason and like wnybassman, I just let it sit and mix. On Saturday AM I reestablish the gradient pretty quickly.

However, if you're not boiling all week and temps. warm up there is something to be said for removing and storing your sweet so it doesn't spoil.

How about some kind of extra long C clamp like this:

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...waAs9BEALw_wcB

Find somebody to then weld up two pieces of triangular steel to each side to match the openings in your pan.
    Last edited by bigschuss; 02-21-2019 at 05:47 AM.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

I would NEVER put any metal in my syrup that isn’t stainless steel or copper.

I once lost an entire weekend’s batch due to a metallic off flavor from a tiny bit of steel wool I foolishly cleaned with and didn’t get all out of the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Backyard sugarmaker since around 1986
    Generally setting out 70 taps in a small village in western Mass
    Boiling on Leader Half-Pint arch with Smoky Lake Full Pint drop flue pan

I agree with those who say that there is no reason to keep the sections separated. What I typically do if I need to empty a pan is draw off various grades of sweet into separate containers. Then (as suggested by others) during the next boil the sweet can be reintroduced slowly into the proper channel.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

How deep do you run your pan? Only reason I ask is the deeper you run it the longer it is going to take to re establish a gradient.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

If you don't empty pan the sweet tends to mix.
    but I have found that when restarting the boiling process the center is first to boil and that is where most of the sweet is. So you need to move the boil. So I draw off a quart at a time and pour back in at the start of the middle section. I do this several times and wait a few mins and do it again. And before you know it you have moved the sweet and the boil to the last section.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

I'll agree with a few above. I have a 2-1/2 x 6 flat pan, and all I do is draw off some of the sweet while the fire is coasting to a stop, and let the rest mix back to equilibrium. When I go to fire back up, I'll start the fire and once the boil starts, slowly add fresh sap to the beginning of the pan, and sweet to the end of the pan. The gradient is back in about 1/2 an hour that way, and I'm back to the races.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast