+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steam bottler vs water jacket bottler?

For a small bottler like the Smoky Lake, there's nothing wrong with a steam pan, the biggest trade off would just be having to refill the tray. I have one of their earlier versions of the finish/filter/bottling pans with a steam pan. Thankfully it looks like they have since added a port to be able to add water without removing the pan. I warped my steam pan the first time I used it because I left it over the propane too long and unknowingly ran it dry. I still use that as my finishing pan without the steam pan under it. The thing that I always hated with it was that it was hard to keep my temperature steady with it on propane. At the time I bought it they didn't have the option of the electric element. 2-3 years ago I moved up to a 29 gallon water jacketed bottler with dual 230V heating elements, and I would never go back to bottling over propane. I have a mark on the knob that corresponds to my preferred bottling temp and I can have my wife go out and turn on the bottler a couple hours before I get home from work and when I get home my syrup is nearly up to temp but not a degree over without ever touching it again, and it doesn't usually fluctuate even 1/2 degree from start to finish even if it takes me a few hours bottling 29 gallons by myself. I add some permeate to the water jacket a couple times throughout the season and other than that there's nothing to it. So, I don't have any reason to steer you away from a steam pan style for a bottler that size, but I highly recommend going with electric.
    2013 4 on buckets, kitchen stove/grill
    2014 40 on buckets, Mason 2x3
    2015 150-200 gravity, 20x24 sugarhouse 75% complete
    2016 Can't remember but still on gravity
    2017 70 sap sacks, ~315 on vacuum
    2018 60 sap sacks, 445 on vacuum
    Leader Oil-Fired 3 X 8 w/steamaway
    Deer Run RO 250gph
    Kubota M7040 and a very helpful wife

check out the honey bottlers/wax melters from honey supply stores like dadant, maxant, and Walter E Kelley. I have a used maxant 10 gallon and like it a lot. Last time I checked they were cheaper than maple suppliers.

wnybassman, Do you have the propane or electric version that holds well at 192. Also I'm not sure which size bottler to go for. Sometimes I filter only 2 gallons at a time, other times it may be 8-10, is the larger bottler overkill?

I am not sure if you have purchased one yet, or not.

but there is a company, https://badgerlandmapleworks.com that is owned by smokylake, which is where i got mine from. I got the electric one, it is a 13 gallon and it was $700 bucks. looks amazing. i did order the tomlinson valve from smokeylakemaple.com because i do not like the idea of using a ball valve to fill bottles and jars.

Thanks Tom, I ended up getting the larger propane model last spring. Looking forward to using it for the first time in the next couple months.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12