+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottles not sealing right?

Default Bottles not sealing right?

I have now had maybe 5-6 bottles that I know about opened to have mold in them. Usually pints it seems but was at least 1 1/2 gallon. We bring it up to about 190* then botrle and put the lid on. Is there something we are not doing right we don't know about? I have just recently seen some pictures of people putting them on there side. Is this critical?

yes. laying on side helps to sterilize the cap and get the seal to stick to the bottle lip. How much head space are you leaving? I was told to fill to the lip just below the threads, Put on cap, lay on side for about a minute stand back upright and check for tightness again.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Another thing, I have found that some caps are more prone to sealing issues. On the bottles you use, do they have a cardboard piece for the seal or is it plastic. I have had issues in the past with bottles or any container with just a cardboard for the seal. However even those usually seal.
    Your issue is likely the tipping on it's side as soon as you finish filling and screwing the cap on snug. Doing that kills any mold spores on the top or the seal. Lay it down for a minute or two, then stand it back up.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have been getting cdl jugs. More of a foamy plastic seal. I also fill em most of the way. I always put enough in so that my wife says "you fill these up way to much". If she's doing it it's just starting up the neck of the jug where the threads begin. Maybe a little below.

I fill my bottles weather it be glass or plastic right to the top, install cap and lay on its side for 30 seconds and have never had problem with mold on top. I have had issues with the flip top caps not sealing correctly but thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjf12 View Post
    I have now had maybe 5-6 bottles that I know about opened to have mold in them. Usually pints it seems but was at least 1 1/2 gallon. We bring it up to about 190* then botrle and put the lid on. Is there something we are not doing right we don't know about? I have just recently seen some pictures of people putting them on there side. Is this critical?
    Are you certain that your Density is correct? Smaller containers are more prone to issues, the only container I have ever had mold on me was a 100ml plastic bottle, I'm certain that the syrup to container was the issue. Too much plastic and not enough hot liquid.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I would have to say ditto on what the others have said. We used to have the same problem until we started filling them to the near very top and laying them on their sides. I can't remember having any mold since we started doing that.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cjf12 View Post
    "you fill these up way to much".
    At least I'm not the only one that gets told that. lol
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

On glass I preheat the bottle and fill it right to the rim. On plastic I fill it to the bottom of the threads. In both cases I put the cap on immediately and lay them on their side while I fill the next container. I've never had a problem with mold. I use Bacon jugs and have never had a problem with leakage. I did have an occasional cap leak when I used Sugarhill jugs.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

On glass I also preheat the glass in cold weather but not when I bottle in warm weather. To preheat my glass I had an "oven" made at my local tin shop maybe 10-12 years ago. It sets on the back of the evaporator, has a lip that hangs down to hold it in the back of the base stack. It is 28-30" wide and about 28" tall, the side facing the base stack is open. I have a light weight chain that goes around the base stack which holds the top tight to the base stack. One side (about 12" x 28") lifts off to reveal 3 shelves. It gets glass (when I'm boiling) to about 180-190F in about 15-20 minutes. If the evaporator is not boiling I set the glass on the cover of my finisher to warm it, that maybe only gets the glass up to 120-150 (in 20-30 minutes) depending on how hot I'm firing the finisher. If I have no syrup in it, I put 2-3" of permeate in and light the burner to warm the glass.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast