+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can 2 sided carpet tape be used to secure rail gasket?

Default Can 2 sided carpet tape be used to secure rail gasket?

The young lad that rides on my bus and I helped get a small evaporator plans to rotate the pan daily. It is a Leader 2 x 4 evaporator,with the supreme style pan that has mini flues in the middle. Just wondering if we could attach the rail gasket with the carpet tape so it wouldn’t fall into the arch every time he lifted the pan,or would it not handle the heat and just disintegrate? Rails have firebrick and refractory cement right up to them,so would not have direct contact with the flames
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I don't think the tape will hold up. Try some high temp silicone.

I used Gorilla spray adhesive (link below from Depot); when I prepped my 2x4XL Mason. Works awesome on gaskets.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...1502/303508262
    2017 - 3 taps hanging buckets.
    2018 - 32 taps on 5 gal. buckets.
    2019 - New Mason 2x4 XL. 80 taps
    2020 - Barn / Sugarhouse finished. 125 taps. NextGen 1x40 RO
    2021 - 157 taps, 100 on 3/16 tubing w/two Shurflo set-ups, the rest on buckets
    2022 - 225 taps. 175 on 3/16 tubing, rest on buckets.
    2023 - 300 taps. 261 on tubing, 39 on 5 gal. buckets. Four Shurflo 12V set-ups.
    2024 - 340 taps. New SL 2x4 hybrid pan. Added second 1x40 membrane to RO

id say no it wont hold up. I used black high temp gasket adhesive to secure my gasket
    2017 - Homemade Barrel Evaporator - 20 Taps (buckets) - Backyard boiling
    2018 - Homemade Barrel Evaporator - 20 Taps (buckets) - Backyard boiling
    2019 - 2x4 Mason XL - 20 Taps (buckets) 30 Taps (sap sacks) - 14x16 Sugar Shack

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Plain carpet tape would likely melt and off-gas quite a bit -- high-temp RTV gasket adhesive would be better. The braided fiber gasket works pretty well compared to the plain gasket -- seems to stay put a better and last a lot longer.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I use that flat braided gasket strip (I think what Dr. Tim is talking about) on a 1 1/4" top rail and it slides off each time I remove the pan. I've been toying with the idea of drilling two small holes (1/16"?) side by side every 4 to 6" all around the top rail then "threading" a piece of stainless wire up through the holes through the gasket and twisting it to hold down the gasket. It makes it removable. I might even get to that before our season here starts...............................in about a month and a half. Jay
    Zucker Lager

I've used braided gasket for years. I rivet mine on. A rivet every 10-12 inches is enough to keep everything where it needs to be. The wire idea is a good one, providing the wire holds up. I'd go with a heavy stainless, safety wire at least- hoping it doesn't get hot/soft and breaks.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread