+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Temporary” sugar house

Default “Temporary” sugar house

E4FAA57C-FE77-4033-A269-C7ECBB678FC9.jpg9978FD10-0CBA-458A-8705-9B78A8EA3EB9.jpgB3B79264-3DE7-47C8-A2CA-30CE9D12747C.jpg

Last year was our first season trying our hand in the syrup hobby and we got hooked. A year of procrastination on building a wood shed/ sugar shack followed. While having a few beverages after a good pallet haul last weekend, we figured we could build a temporary, low budget shelter out of pallets to keep us out of the weather this year. 10 hours of labour with 4 guys, 250$ in materials that I didn’t have laying around,a few beverages, and this is where we stand. There is still quite a bit of closing in to do yet but having a roof is amazing. It is 13’x13’ inside. I am impressed enough with the structure to share with you folks and try to re-negotiate the temporary status of the building with my wife after syrup season haha.
    Has anyone built anything along these lines? Any suggestions going forward would be welcomed and appreciated as well

Thanks

That looks pretty sweet for something made out of pallets. Wrap it with some tarps to cut down on the wind flow and it should be pretty comfortable. I'd go with the brown or green tarps, they look less redneck than the blue ones.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I have done that this year, only smaller. Mine is only 8X9. The floor is an old deck that was still structurally sound and walls are pallets and got the trusses free from Kijiji. A few needed repair, but wasn't a big deal. Mine looks very redneck as I used scrap anything to wrap it, but it eventually will have siding, just likely won't be complete this year. The local hardware store sells remnant vinyl siding for $2 per 12' piece. My goal was to build it with very little cost. 20190210_155137.jpg20190127_152114.jpg20190126_122450-1.jpg

Whatever keeps the weather off is a bonus. Looks good.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

My first year I just put up a 10x10 vendor style tent, no walls, just roof and to keep the stack away from the tent it sloped about 30 degrees out the back. I then made braces to support the stack out of emt and that worked to keep snow and rain out of the pan and off my neck.
    Both of you with pallet structures have gone far beyond my tent structure, good work!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Kudos to both structures. I love people who think outside the box, take what is readily available, and create works of art.
    2011 - 6 buckets
    Stove Top
    2012 - 15 buckets
    2013 - 19 buckets
    Camper cook stove with 3 high propane burners
    Custom made 42x14x7 maple pan with dividers
    2015 - New 12x16 Sugar Shack
    2015 - New Lapierre Propane Evaporator
    2016 - 28 buckets
    2017 - 30 buckets
    2019 - 32 buckets
    2023 - 32 buckets - Good to be back

I helped my uncle years ago and we did our work in a temporary tarp structure. The biggest downside was the steam freezing into a thick layer of frost on the inside of the tarps. Whenever the wind blew, the tarps would rattle and it would rain ice flakes down on us.

I built a shelter over my woods tank and releaser and used all repurposed materials. Part of the framing is an old clothesline that was made out of pt 4x4's. Some of the framing is the sides and ends from an old water bed. The roofing is made from cut off pieces of the tin roofing that I put on the sugar house woodshed. It isn't pretty but it does the job.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    I built a shelter over my woods tank and releaser and used all repurposed materials. Part of the framing is an old clothesline that was made out of pt 4x4's. Some of the framing is the sides and ends from an old water bed. The roofing is made from cut off pieces of the tin roofing that I put on the sugar house woodshed. It isn't pretty but it does the job.
    That's the main thing, gets the job done. Syrup doesn't care what the structure looks like that it's made in or no structure for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Lady View Post
    I have done that this year, only smaller. Mine is only 8X9. The floor is an old deck that was still structurally sound and walls are pallets and got the trusses free from Kijiji. A few needed repair, but wasn't a big deal. Mine looks very redneck as I used scrap anything to wrap it, but it eventually will have siding, just likely won't be complete this year. The local hardware store sells remnant vinyl siding for $2 per 12' piece. My goal was to build it with very little cost. Attachment 19452Attachment 19453Attachment 19454
    Looks great to me...it’s considered a work in progress rather than redneck haha. @maple flats, I used a 10x10 pop up last year for a day. Turns out they are not rated for much of a snow load. Now most of the frame’s tubing will pulled from the scrap pile and reincarnated as chimney supports hah.its Good to see other setups for sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast