+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is anyone tapping in southern Michigan yet ?

My little backyard operation consisting of three silver maples is over for the season. Buds popped on Thursday the 14th. This was my first year, so I learned a lot and I know that I want to expand next year, hopefully with some sugar maples. Regardless, I had a lot of fun, the syrup is so good that I could drink it and Iím hooked for life!A7E98EC2-4943-4CEC-85B2-AD901C27BAD4.jpg

You are only done if you just want to be done. The syrup will still be good, I'm boiling today and I'm 40 miles south of you with reds and silvers. Don't let the flowers fool you on silvers and reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Don't let the flowers fool you on silvers and reds.
    True story.

It’s been a great day to boil outside Kalamazoo. It’s been a hard rolling boil all day in my backyard 2x4 oil tank operation.

Sugar maples really flowing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    42į 7' 14 N
    50-60 Taps
    Homemade 2x4 Arch
    I do it for fun with family and friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    You are only done if you just want to be done. The syrup will still be good, I'm boiling today and I'm 40 miles south of you with reds and silvers. Don't let the flowers fool you on silvers and reds.
    Really? Dammit! Well, I donít want to be done, but Iíve already boiled everything down and cleaned all my stuff. I suppose that it wouldnít be difficult to pull it all back out. So how do you know when silver maples are done? When the sap stops flowing?

They usually just stop wanting to run, even if the temps are optimal. Go ahead and get your buckets back on, tommorrow will be the best run of t he year

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234