+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stack Melt Down

Default Stack Melt Down

I've seen frequent references on the forums to the idea that running too high a stack temperature (red hot) can cause it to "melt down." I assume this means some sort of catastrophic failure. I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anybody and what the results were.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Prolonged temperatures of 1000 degrees F, or higher, will cause the steel in the stack to become plastic and loose its ability to hold its shape. A lot depends on the thickness of the steel and type of steel. A dull red color of steel typically indicates 1200F, a bright cherry red color is around 1500F.

Depending on how the stack is built and supported this can lead to dramatic failure at a very in-convenient time.

It is a good idea to have a stack temp gauge to help prevent damage to your stack.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Ok I might be guilty of saying this phrase. I can give you some examples: If you heat steel with a torch to about red hot you can bend it easily. Now on our evaporator stack, when we were burning pallets we had a nephew firing the rig. and he fired it like a locomotive. I walked back the the stack and it was red hot and glowing. I believe if I had a screwdriver, I could have poked it through the stack. We idled the firing way back. Put on a stack thermometer and kept a eye on the temp after that.
    No I have never actually heard of a stack melt down. Oh the other thing was I almost burned down the sugarhouse because of the stack being to hot and the wood roof not insulated well enough. Was real lucky to have a hose there to put out the fire. Put up a stainless sleeve around the stack in the roof area.
    Currently my stack temps are half of what they used to be due to new pans that draw most of the heat out of the fire before it gets to the stack.
    Hot stacks, yea too hot to handle. Be safe!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Have to hijack this thread,my stack is a brick chimney that has been standing for 127 years now,where would I get a stack thermometer with a long enough probe to go through the brick into the centre of the chimney where the flue gases are?
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I have seen kiln thermometers that are longer because they go through thick walls on a kiln. That might work for you.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Here she is with the fan on high at night. I ran it hot just for the picture, this is not how I normally,run her. Only took 30 seconds to get,there! 6DA694D4-8947-4D35-AB13-CFAD37EF35E3.jpg
    Last edited by Ntatar; 03-11-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Ntatar,
    Ahhhh, you have a potential problem! Your only 30 seconds away from disaster! Dial that puppy back a little! I thought I saw a glow in the night sky last night in the east! You need to get that fire under some good pans on a real arch!
    Thanks for the picture. Keep the garden hose close by too!

Yes what you have there is a real good start to stack melt down IMO!
    FYI, my stack temp (external) was about 400 F last night.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

The problem with small 2x3 or 2x4 is the blowers trow to much air for the size of the evaporator. So your blowing most of the heat up chimney thus red hot stack. I put a 3 speed switch in mine and I am fine unless I go to High and than my elbow and lower stack will look like yours.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Mine looks like that most all the time. I get 2 years from black single wall stove pipe. I know that I'm over firing a tad but yesterday I started with 38 gallons of 5% sugar. Start to finished cool down was 2 and 1/2 hours. Pan depth stayed right at 1 1/2 inches the whole time. So I'm guessing that I'm near 15 gallons plus evaporation rate on a 2x3 Mason. Stack temp was 500 on low end and upto 900 degrees on the high end by magnetic stove thermometer on the pipe out the back of the arch.. Should be 5.5 gallons in the pan.
    Last edited by Chickenman; 03-11-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Ntater,

Wow, that is the hottest stack I,ve ever seen! Good thing that is outdoors, and that car in the background is upwind of it!! Like Chris said, you need to dial that in better. Entirely way too much heat going up and out.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast