+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High Quality Winter Work Gloves

Default High Quality Winter Work Gloves

Have been looking all over,having trouble finding any. Pretty much all you can find now is gloves with “ thinsulate “ which are pretty much useless when the temperature drops below freezing. Years ago I purchased a 3 pack of either cowhide or pigskin gloves that were heavy pile lined,and actually had a layer of plastic like vapour barrier between the exterior and the heavy pile lining. They were virtually indestructible,you could handle any amount of snow covered wood and would never get your hands or the insulation wet. Any ideas on gloves like this would be greatly appreciated. Found a pair that sounds pretty good on amazon,but $199.00 !!!,forget it
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Berne heavy duty utility glove. About 15 a pair. Insulated and waterproof heavy duty leather outers.

My biggest problem with them is they are too warm and make my hands sweat. Otherwise they are great and hold up well.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Anything by Kinco is going to be a lot of glove at a good value. I swear by them. These aren't your cheap, Home Depot or Tractor Supply specials.

https://www.kinco.com/

Specifically, I always buy this model when I eventually wear a pair out.

https://www.kinco.com/product/1927kw

I'd be very surprised if anybody was unhappy with them for cold weather work or outdoor sports.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

I work outside daily and wear nothing but atlas winter weight gloves. Good for dexterity which is important to me. I can't stand not being able to handle tools because of bulky gloves. If I know my hands will be getting wet I will slip on nitrile gloves underneath.
    If I'm simply running equipment or 4 wheeler in the cold I wear lined mittins. Hands are usually to warm in them.

I too like the Showa Atlas Therma-Fit PF 451 latex coated gloves,good dexterity and great for firewood as you don't have to grip as hard.Just ordered a 12 pack for $31.75 from ebay.You can toss them in the washer when they start to stink. For really cold weather the Kinco style are great,knit cuff or open, but dexterity is limited. Used to work at a hydro plant (30 yrs.) so got to know what worked playing with ice and water. The key for leather is either pigskin or goatskin as it will not be stiff as a plank when it dries.I like the nitrile trick,will have to try that!

The kinco gloves are pretty warm. I do line work so wearing gloves is crucial. Layering anywhere you can is key when it really gets cold so I wear a relatively thin pair of wool gloves under my leather work gloves. When I need to switch to rubber gloves the woolies never leave my hands just swap the leathers out. Works great for me as I work outside all day and night sometimes too but never have exposed skin

I agree with Kincos on the cold days and the neoprene type with knitted backside for moderate weather.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

While not high quality I've used these http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds as liners or doubled. Just keep a few spare pair for when they get wet. I have also used these uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17931L/Warehouse-Gloves/Latex-Coated-String-Knit-Gloves-Large?pricode=WB1112&gadtype=pla&id=S-17931L&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkGGB1QMdnjzD 2lZnDtGjVeJfA5JujC219w6S0Bx28-q5JNO_kgCJOYaAuVREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    in the past with a pair of the uncoated under the coated. While I used a link I do not recall who I bought them from.
    I started using them after a friend who worked for a large utility company told me that was what the company supplied for the workers except for when working near high voltage. At that time I was in the outdoor boiler business and they worked quite well. They gave decent dexterity.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I use that style of woven latex gloves as well. I've used Kinco or whatever other brand they have at the hardware store. I too like the dexterity and if it is really cold I use handwarmers and even working with metal-handled tools I am good. I'll put insulated mittens over them if I don't need dexterity.

I like that trick of using nitrile gloves as well on wet days.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Ditto Kinco. Also military surplus wool gloves under military surplus mittens, I know mittens forfeit some dexterity but that combination is unbeatable for warmth without sweat.
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

+ Reply to Thread