+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Syrup depth

My pan came with a sight glass half way down the pan but I find that with a good boil it fluctuates too much to get good readings. I have marks in the pan for where my highest desired point is and for the low end I made up some alarms. I like electrical components so I made an alarm system for each pan using 12vdc, a stainless float, toggle switch, and an alarm. I have these floats in the actual float box so I'm reading the depth at the beginning of my pans and they aren't in a rolling boil. I know most people feel alarms are over kill but they give you peace of mind when you don't have to be checking the level all the time. You can also walk away for a few minutes and not be worried about burning the pan. I must say too that it has saved me a few burnt pans by waking me up when I've nodded off at the end of some 20 hour boils! Having an RO should help with that this year though.
    2015- 3x4 flat pan over brick "arch" outside
    2016- Same pan with homemade arch outside
    2017- 2x6 new to me evaporator setup outside
    2018- Same setup, started to build a shack
    2019- homemade single post 4x40 RO and finally in a sugar shack!
    We are improving little by little each year, part of the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by jbutton View Post
    Ok so how do you measure that. My flues are drop flue
    Not sure on drop flues. Ours are raised so it's easy. We fill the pan cold until the tape measure shows 1" above the flues, adjust the float box so it's just closed and we're done. We put a black sharpie line on the sight tube so we can see at a glance where we are relative to where we started. When the feed tank is full the pan will run a little deeper due to the pressure on the float box. The opposite happens when its almost empty so you need to adjust the float a bit throughout the day.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

On our raised flue I just keep an eye on the float box intake tube (float side). I know that when sap is at the bottom of the intake tube it is 1/2 in over the flues. So I keep it about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the intake tube for around 3/4 in in the flue pan. As long as I see sap over the bottom of the float intake tube I know I am good.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Z/man interesting

I do much the same as Ennismaple. Ours is a 2x6 Leader Patriot with a sight glass on the flue pan. A mark on the glass gives me a quick indication of depth in flue pan.

Since the syrup pan has it's own float box (it's much lower than the flue pan) I monitor level there by looking at the intake pipe from the draw-off box. Intake is 1½" and sits even with the bottom of the syrup pan, so as long as I can't see the pipe I'm running at about 1½"...if I can see the pipe, I give the float a push down to feed some more sap. We try to run at 1½" but it can get crazy pretty quickly.

I also dip the pan every now and then with the stainless handle on a small skimmer I keep handy. Just like checking the oil on your car - when cars still had dip sticks...
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I use a paint stick with a line drawn on it at the depth I want to run. I just stick it in the pan real quickly with a glove on cause that steam is wicked hot. It is just like the dip stick in your automobile. Works great for me and there free at home depot.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12