+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syrup depth

Hybrid View

Default Syrup depth

What does everyone use to measure depth in your pan. I have a sl hybrid pan and I see they are selling a sight glass can be connected from the float box or the draw off. Tia

I looked at the prices of sight glasses, spit out my milk violently, and just made my own with some fittings and clear tubing. Before I fire up I fill the pan to the depth I want to keep and have two zip ties on the sight I set as high and low limit of where I want to run. Then it's simply making sure I'm in between those all day. Granted, I'm just a hobby producer. No float box, just a feed pan and this setup works fine for me. Rig runs nice and steady and I get consistent draws as long as I have enough to boil to draw
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Do you have a picture of that setup

We run 1" over the flues in the back and 2" deep in the syrup pan. The float in our syrup pan takes a while to react given the size of the pan so the extra depth keeps us from scorching it.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Ok so how do you measure that. My flues are drop flue

Quote Originally Posted by jbutton View Post
    Ok so how do you measure that. My flues are drop flue
    Not sure on drop flues. Ours are raised so it's easy. We fill the pan cold until the tape measure shows 1" above the flues, adjust the float box so it's just closed and we're done. We put a black sharpie line on the sight tube so we can see at a glance where we are relative to where we started. When the feed tank is full the pan will run a little deeper due to the pressure on the float box. The opposite happens when its almost empty so you need to adjust the float a bit throughout the day.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by jbutton View Post
    Do you have a picture of that setup
    Here's a pic I could find...

sight.jpg
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Just take care with small fittings/site tubes. Niter can build-up in the pipe before the tube and plug them, causing erroneous level readings (scorched pans anyone?). If you go this route, switch out the elbow right before the glass for a tee with a drain so you can open it every now and then to get rid of the sludge.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Just take care with small fittings/site tubes. Niter can build-up in the pipe before the tube and plug them, causing erroneous level readings (scorched pans anyone?). If you go this route, switch out the elbow right before the glass for a tee with a drain so you can open it every now and then to get rid of the sludge.
    Good tip, thanks! I feed sap in right near the sight so i get next to no niter in mine (and do wash the pan a few times/season). But, I have to be careful where it runs in or it can affect the reading.
    42.82N

On our raised flue I just keep an eye on the float box intake tube (float side). I know that when sap is at the bottom of the intake tube it is 1/2 in over the flues. So I keep it about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the intake tube for around 3/4 in in the flue pan. As long as I see sap over the bottom of the float intake tube I know I am good.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast