+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Minimum Size/Configuration For Finishing

Default Minimum Size/Configuration For Finishing

All-
    What would be the minimum size and/or configuration for the pan to be in order to draw off maple syrup? I am looking to make my operation more efficient by not having to finish the syrup on a propane heater or something like that after the boil. I'm trying to get a 2x4 size pan and didn't know if you could truly finish the syrup on something of that size.

Thanks
    2015- Didn't know my new property enough to tap anything. 4-feet of snow on the ground.
    2016- 41 Taps with home made barrel evaporator. Made 1.5 gallons syrup.
    2017- 79 Taps with home made block arch evaporator. Made 2.47 gallons syrup
    2018- 91 Taps again with home made block arch. Homemade RO worked great. Made 6.96 gallons syrup.
    2019- 84 Taps. Building another arch. RO in place. New Smoky Lake 2x4 Divided Pan. Everything switched to 3/16" tubing.

Yes you can finish even on a 2x3. I used to finish on the Half Pint which was my first "real" evaporator. It could be done with or without dividers but with will be easier. If without, periodically stir it to keep it blended and as soon as it tests right, shut off the propane.
    It will take a long time to get close, but then it speeds up significantly, be ready for that. Part way thru the boil, removing 1% of the water will be hard to detect a diference, but when you get to 66% it takes almost no time to get to 66.9%. Some stop at 66% some 66.5% and others, myself included go to 66.9%.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I started with a 2×5 flat pan. I would try to do 200 gallon batches of sap so I would end up with enough in the pan to finish it right in the pan. I always finished it a bit heavy and thinned as needed. Having enough in the pan at that end was crucial for avoiding a burnt batch.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

Look at the 2x4 hybrid pans. The back section has flues to increase the evaporation rate and the front section is small enough to bring the syrup to density. If you do decide to go hybrid make sure that the front section has dividers in it. Hybrid pans come with raised or dropped flues. You need to know which one so that you can build or buy the correct arch for it.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread