+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ice bath milk tank

Default Ice bath milk tank

Just picked up a 400 gallon milk tank inside a 600 gallon ice bath tank. Everything is stainless I was thinking of pulling the inside tank from the ice portion remove all the copper and plug holes for a separate tank has anyone done this?

I bought one several years ago. I removed the tank and salvaged the rest. In my case I got almost what I paid for the tank for salvage. If it was like mine you will find the copper pipe very heavy and weighs up good. Just cut all the fittings out and sell them seperate. The pipe will go for clean copper and bring more. The fittings a little less because of the solder. I don't remember what the outside tank was like, and why the thought dinn't cross my mine to use it. I know when I sold it they told me it was just a skin. A magnet would stick to it everywhere the steel support was inside. My guess would be if it is stainless that there will be a gap between sheets. If you can get it cleaned up, plug holes, and figure a drain you could use it. Not sure it would be worth it.

I have a tank like that for sale, local pick up only. It is just 200 gal. I was told it came from a farm that had a good cold spring and that the spring water was piped into the bottom and an over flow dumped out near the top. That was supposed to be how the milk was cooled.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thinking back, my grandparents on my dad's side also had a cement vat that they put milk cans into. They then pumped, with a hand pump cold well water in to cool the milk. I have no idea how often they refreshed the cold or how cold it was. I think it likely held 8 cans, but when I was old enough to notice such things they were down to 6 cows and a few young stock thus they never filled 8 cans.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have four ice bank type Dari-Kool tanks! I have used almost all the stainless for projects in the sugarhouse. Keep in mind that the outside and the next liner are 400 series which have some steel in them and will rust. I have 2 400 gal a 350 and a 250 gal. I like them because they are easy to clean out. They are also a lot lighter with all the insulation, compressor and copper removed. Even the stir paddle was used for fabrication items.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread