+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Willow Creek Sugarhouse 2019

I haven't noticed the leaking issue with the CV'2 like you are. Are you using a 5/16" bit? When my taps are seated in the tree I can't even see the seam.

Like you I haven't gotten much sap yet. I was hoping to boil Sunday night but I don't think it's going to happen.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

yeah you cant see the seem they are exactly the same spout just one has the insert with the ball and the seem is just at the tip. oh yeah I buy the stainless 5/16 tapping bits. anyway. the seam in far enough in the hole shouldnt be an issue. here is the next theory...

could there be frozen sap building up in the of the spout and pushing on the ball and pushing out the tap just enough to cause a leak?
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Well things barely got thawed yesterday there was sun butit was filtered with clouds all day and not that warm.

collected 50 gallons... there is not going to be enough to do anything with I am guessing. So not optimistic about a boil at this point.

tried to turn on the 4 and last section only to find the ball value frozen. had to wait until later to and was able to open it up. Vac dropped from 28" to 23" so need to get out there today and see where the leaks are. that is one the really good thing about have my woods in sections I can shut down different section to check for leaks. and makes startup easier to pin point leaks as well as each section averages about 120 taps.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

got about 75 gallons of sap yeaterday totaling 125 gallons. not enough to do anything with. today was nothing wind never broke past 36* it was generally line cleaning sap anyway. was pretty green and nasty. My woods are ready with the exception of a cracked sap ladder base but Its an easy fix with a little PVC Glue. can't get to it now until everything freezes up again. rain really made things WAY worse in my woods it was already flooded and is even worse now. no where for the water to go.

Might need an alternate tank and releaser spot if the water doesn't recede will have to run the line in a little more and make some something to set in the tank. so its out of the water. will also need to reconfigure vac to releaser line. I'll figure it out.

Doesn't matter anyway if the forecast stays the same doesn't look like a thaw until march 9th for here anyway.

just hope I have sap in time for maple weekend. Plenty to do between now and then anyway.

At least Josh got some sap!!! he has those crazy running trees.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

I hope that the water recedes and that you don't have to do a lot of relocating to make things work. The sap didn't run very good here yesterday either. With my RO down I'd expect to be getting a sap tsunami but it ain't happening. I hope everything works out for you.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Brad, there's always something. Hope you get things figured out without too much hassle.

Sometimes it seems that sugaring is just going from one catastrophe to another. There's always something frozen, broken or burnt. It's all part of what makes this hobby fun.
    Russ

that's Very true. the water under the ice flowed out through the culvert so thats good and the ice around the edges was fairly thin so no moving of anything. just had to chip away some ice.

Got end tree fixed across the street and everything over there is tapped and have as many buckets up as I am gonna do this year besides I misplaced about 30 to 40 buck taps so if I can find them I can do more but with this bum leg of mine right now I don;t really want to haul sap. (somehow pulled an a$$ muscle Piriformis which runs right next the sciatic nerve so its pretty uncomfotable rightnow)

not much sap today trees are still frozen form the hard freeze. got a whopping maybe 50 gallons today. nothing yesterday was only really above freeze for a few hours. got all my major fixes in the woods done here and everything turned on and I am running at 27.5" at the releaser I am VERY happy with that.

What I do for across the street is run a 1" vac line out to the street and through the culvert well there is a section that a tree fell on a didn't realize it was frozen in the ice. well there must be a little sap in that vac line from a back up at the second releaser and sure enough frozen... sooooo gonna have to dig that section out the ice. I think its gonna be a chainsaw cut. so that should be fun hopefully I don't cut the line. but if so OH well.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

Jeez Brad, hope your luck turns around.

Oh the joys of tapping in a swamp. You gotta want it!

I had problems with sciatica a couple of years ago. It took steroids and a **** load of visits to the chiropractor to fix that. If your leg problem is anything like that I feel your pain.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast