+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heat tape on releasers

Default Heat tape on releasers

Has anyone put heat tape on their releasers to keep them from freezing up? One of my double releasers is in a shed that is unheated and freezes when the temp drops below 20 degrees. I don't think the tapes will affect the releasers.
    2 1/2 X 8 Leader revolution pans on an inferno arch with steamaway. 1500 taps, 600 gph Springtech RO, 3 vacuum systems (3/4 hp. Airablo, 2 hp. Tuthill oilring pump and a 2 hp. Busch claw pump)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/batsofbedlam/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by batsofbedlam View Post
    Has anyone put heat tape on their releasers to keep them from freezing up?
    Yes, heat tape will work fine. Put some around the bottom and also one loop around/near the outlet/lip of the releaser. We've had ice form on drop coming out right at that spot that won't allow the releaser to seal again after dumping it's contents. Don't overlap the heat tape onto itself.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I've got a similar situation. The new releaser will be outside the sugar house - for this season anyway. I may need to use heat tape but have another thought.

It's a new style 12x24 electric realeaser from CDL. It has a deep well pump laying horizontal inside the tank which pumps through a check valve
    at the pump output (circled in the photo) and a drain at the bottom.

I'd like to place a cam-loc where the CV meets the tank so I can disconnect the CV, flip the valve and empty the water out. It holds water above the flap and will freeze for sure and crack the valve. I'm not sure if it needs that water sitting on top of the flap to help it pull closed under vacuum, or if it will automatically pull tight.

If I can empty the CV, I can then open the drain at the bottom of the tank and the unit is water free.

Any suggestions? I'm sure I'm missing something here...thank you John.

releaser 1.jpgreleaser 2.jpg
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

We have that same CDL releaser (or one that is very similar). The issue with the plan you've outlined John (if I understand you correctly) is that the sap will sometimes continue to trickle in slowly over many hours as the woods freezes up. Some parts of the woods may not freeze and run all night. So you'd either have to disconnect the releaser and let that sap run on the ground (thinking it's going to freeze) and risk losing sap if you disconnect the releaser, OR if you don't drain it and it does end up freezing, it could crack or damage the pump/releaser. Plus if you do disconnect, you'd have to be sure to hook it back up again BEFORE the sap starts to run again the next time.

Another problem with a releaser and/or moisture trap that is out in the cold is that if they freeze up, the sap can bypass and get pulled into the pump. We've had moisture traps in the shed where the water accumulated in them over time and freeze the ball in place so it couldn't seal, defeating the protection that the moisture trap is supposed to provide. That's not much of a problem for some pumps (diaphragm or liquid ring), a bit more problem for others (vane pumps)…and potentially the end of the season for others (rotary claw).

I'd just use the heat tape....cheap insurance for an expensive pump and releaser.

P.S. I like the tools in your photo hanging on the beam above. Nice look.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 02-11-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks for the reply Dr. Perkins.

Heat tape it is for day-to-day operations. But I may still go with the cam lock set-up for those few times we really get in the freezer for a few days. I would shut down the pump for that scenario, and if the releaser is empty of all water, nothing should freeze. Should is a scary word at times......
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread