+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire bricking tips for a block arch

Could you post a picture of your chimney too?

How have the sheet metal doors worked? When they're closed, how is the fire getting air? Or are you finding that it can idle enough with the doors closed every so often because there's enough heat still to keep the boil going?

Just curious. Thinking of how I can upgrade my block arch this summer. I went from a block arch with no real chimney to a bigger one with a chimney this year, but it's all cinder block and no fire brick. I know it can crack and I'm losing tons of heat but it's lasted so far.
    MVIMG_20190313_140405.jpg
    2017 - 5 gravity taps, 2 pan block arch, 1gallon syrup
    2019 - 18 gravity taps, 5 pan block arch, 4gallons
    2020 - 25 gravity taps, 2x5 arch, RB10 kit, 7 gallons
    2021 - 25 gravity, 75 on 3/16, 2x5 arch, RO10 kit, 13 gallons
    2022 - 85(?) on 3/16 tubing

I have a homemade evaporater that I purchased a few years ago. It is 4'x4'x12" deep. Holds about 100 gallons if I was to fill it up. When bought the pan sat inside the firebox but I found this burned the syrup on the sides, so we lifted it up and fixed it to sit on the top of the firebox. I feel I am losing heat by having the 12" sides exposed. Could I use ceramic blanket to surround the tank and maintain my heat a little better? Would it be worth it? Would I have to enclose the ceramic blanket with something?
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12