+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has anyone used a Precision Tapper

Default Has anyone used a Precision Tapper

Has anyone used a Precision Tapper How well does it work ? What drills can it fit on ?

We bought one last year. Certain people (me too) in our family have broken those expensive bits (a couple a year in some cases). We thought the precision taper may cut down on bit breakage. Not only the cost of the bit, but you now have a unusable hole, and a bit in the tree. In our case we bought it as complete unit. The drill itself was an upgrade from our current drill selection so it drills faster and the battery lasts longer.

The other claim to fame is the ability to keep the bit straight and not have an elongated hole. We changed out a section of mainline with loose fitting saddles (we use the spin seal) and used the precision taper. Last year we maintained the highest vacuum we have had since going to vacuum.

Like the spin seal, it carries a price. I would not buy a conversion kit, rather a complete unit and use the batteries in my other tools. I think it is worth the expense.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

I know what your asking and I will post my typical smart A** answer!
    I use one, its my eyes and good sharp cordless hammer drill and steady hand! There are some places That I tap where one of those fancy tappers would never work. Like a spile next to a piece of sugar maple bark plate that is as deep as the spout!
    Real answer is No! I have not tried one. Might work on young smooth bark trees.
    The thought process is good but I bet you can still screw up a tap hole with one??
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Haven't used one to be honest, but its a boatload of $ for something that with a little practice u can be as good or better at drilling precise holes. No offence to those who are sold on em' but who wants to drag around a huge bulky thing that when the rubber meets the road might be able to be used on half your trees. I know im opinionated but I would spend $750 on something else.
    Matras Maple

Started 15 years ago as backyard operation.
    Now have a 1325 taps and growing.
    Boiling on a 2.5x8 leader infurno with steamaway.
    New for 2019 a cdl 600 expandable RO, another bush on vac.

I agree. buy a 2x4 and practice drilling if you have to.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    I agree. buy a 2x4 and practice drilling if you have to.
    Haha good thought
    Matras Maple

Started 15 years ago as backyard operation.
    Now have a 1325 taps and growing.
    Boiling on a 2.5x8 leader infurno with steamaway.
    New for 2019 a cdl 600 expandable RO, another bush on vac.

The large operation we work for had one but he traded back in after no one used it. It is very bulky and heavy, 2 things you don't want while trudging through the woods. Milwaukee drills all the way for us........you can get refurbished ones for $100 online.

This is my third season with one. My girlfriend bought it for my birthday or else I probably wouldn't have one. I have it mounted on a Milwaukee drill and it works awesome, I wouldn't drill a hole without it. I have it set at an inch and a half when pushed to the line on the tapper and on those thicker barked trees there's room to push it another quarter inch before it bottoms out. Downside to them is its one more thing you have to maintain, make sure you keep the slides clean and lubricated.

+ Reply to Thread