+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Tapping 2019

Is it just me or are the trees starting off kinda slow ??
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

Default slow....

Absolutely....I can't believe I've not had a better run given the weather. So slow.... Hoping things will trun around soon.

Slow for sure. Most of my sugar maples are starting to give some but the few reds I tapped are still dry.
    Might get 5 gals sap from 24 taps by days end.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

Very slow out this way also. Have about a dozen or so that are running well. The rest are just starting to weep or doing nothing.
    2019 99 taps on buckets (95 red & 4 sugar)
    W.F. Mason 2x4 XL

Last 3 days have yielded about 800 gallons of sap. Just enough to sweeten the pans and then some. Firing up tomorrow.
    " A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
    Mark Twain
    900 plus taps , 435 vacuum, 565 gravity
    2.5 x 10 Thor on Tsunami arch
    H2O Concentrater 300
    Squeezing Bees
    and
    Draining Trees
    Since 1980
    http://www.sparkyshoneyandmaple.com/about.html

The number of people who are seeing slow starts validates what I'm seeing here. You wonder what's going on till you hear what's happening with others. Is this season typical of what one might expect with mapling? My three previous seasons were not like this at all, but I'm too new at this to know!

Oddly I have one tree that is acting like it's done flowing, giving only a small amount of yellow tinged sap like it might be buddy. This is usually a good producing tree. I wonder if the warm snap in early February made it run sooner since it is in a sheltered southern exposure? Maybe I'll grab a sample and boil it separately to see if it is buddy.

In any case, today was an improvement with 12 gallons gathered bringing the tally to 40, so a boil is on for this weekend.
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

I'm not surprised by the slow start, there's 3-4+ feet of snow in my sugarbush. I sank to my waist yesterday when I broke through a void space next to a piece of ledge, and I was wearing snow shoes. I think this warm weekend will get stuff going.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

Default First sap collection of 2019

So, my giant old sugar maples are slow to start, but the other trees are starting to run. Finally got my first sap of the season up here north of Bangor! Collected 34.5 gallons in the last 24 hours from buckets on 80 taps. Sugar is 3.0 so I am hoping I can turn that into a gallon of syrup tomorrow. The flow seems to have stopped this morning, with the exception of a few drips from taps on the west and north sides of my biggest maples. Too warm I think—until (hopefully) Monday.
    Page Meadow Maple
    Lowell, Maine
    Leader Half Pint evaporator
    80 taps: 53 buckets, 27 drop lines

It’s finally started here In Oxford. Collected 85 gallons the past 2 days. Not huge but the trees are waking up. Sugar concentration should be high as I threw out a lot of ice. I’ll do the first boil this weekend. Much later than last year

2020: 317 taps, 2021: 360, 2022: 350 2023: 300, 2024: 230 (getting smarter)
    Drop lines and hanging buckets, all hand lugged
    2 X 6 raised flue evaporator
    7in. Filter press
    17 HP Kubota tractor
    12 X 16' sugar shack
    Sugar and red maples

Quote Originally Posted by Mvhomesteader View Post
    The number of people who are seeing slow starts validates what I'm seeing here. You wonder what's going on till you hear what's happening with others. Is this season typical of what one might expect with mapling? My three previous seasons were not like this at all, but I'm too new at this to know!

Oddly I have one tree that is acting like it's done flowing, giving only a small amount of yellow tinged sap like it might be buddy. This is usually a good producing tree. I wonder if the warm snap in early February made it run sooner since it is in a sheltered southern exposure? Maybe I'll grab a sample and boil it separately to see if it is buddy.

In any case, today was an improvement with 12 gallons gathered bringing the tally to 40, so a boil is on for this weekend.
    When you say "three previous seasons" you nailed it. 2015 was a very late spring and ended up being a very poor year. Not to say this year will be bad, but if it warms up too fast we're in trouble. Based on the amount of snow and cold we have had, it is not at all surprising that the trees have been slaw to produce.

Your one tree is not buddy. You've got a month before that happens. It's possible you tapped too close to a previous taphole or other damaged spot on the trunk. It's possible it will come out of it when the sap really starts to run, but I would guess not. Just for fun, pull the tap and shine a light in there to see how the wood looks.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast