+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Tapping 2019

Just to put a number on it... in terms of sap collected I'm at just about 10% of an average season's total. It's a late season for sure, but with as much snow as we have I'm holding out hope that we'll get there by tax day!

Collected 50 gallons from 65 taps here in Lewiston this morning. Just got a report that we barely have that much in Sumner. We were hoping for 2 to 300. Without vacuum, the trees must not be giving up my sap...that or we have some severe leaks in the 3/16. Find out later when we all get up there.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

Quote Originally Posted by abbott View Post

Your one tree is not buddy. You've got a month before that happens. It's possible you tapped too close to a previous taphole or other damaged spot on the trunk. It's possible it will come out of it when the sap really starts to run, but I would guess not. Just for fun, pull the tap and shine a light in there to see how the wood looks.
    Thanks for the information! I'm sure you are right. It is possible that I've been tapping too close to previous hole (I keep 4" , the cuttings looked clean) so that could be an issue. I'll try the flashlight tomorrow while I boil.
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

Quote Originally Posted by West Sumner Sugar View Post
    Collected 50 gallons from 65 taps here in Lewiston this morning. Just got a report that we barely have that much in Sumner. We were hoping for 2 to 300. Without vacuum, the trees must not be giving up my sap...that or we have some severe leaks in the 3/16. Find out later when we all get up there.
    I’m guessing you’re OK with the lines, just not running yet. We had 35 gallons off 300 taps in the totes. That was after letting the lines clean out for a day. Operation we work for on vacuum in Byron is ro’ing. That’s crazy, he is always a couple weeks behind us. It’s gonna go, just don’t know when! In the meantime, added 20 more taps today and will do the same tomorrow

It's going to have to start running soon! We only have about 3 weeks before the weather turns and it doesn't freeze much at night. We'll take it to the very end this year. We managed a very short boil but we need 30 gallons just to fill the evap, so we only did about a half hour of boiling before we had to shut down. Hopefully this week it happens!
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Well it looks like today is the day it will start flowing! It's warmish and we had a freeze last night. We are saving sap for this weekend, so we could use a run! Good luck out there in maple land!
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

I've had great runs all week here in Lewiston. Over 100 gallons off 65 taps. All on a south facing hill side which I'm sure helps. Id say 75% of the snow is gone from it. This should be enough to get the evaporator going this weekend on top of what we collect in Sumner. Hopefully we are flooded up there.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

We got a little here yesterday in Peru on our south facing slope but it still hasn’t opened up. We should have enough to finally fire up this weekend but I don’t know when we’ll actually get a good run. Snow still tight around trees up here. I’ll keep you posted though!

Finally got to fire up the evaporator last night pulled off a few gallons. Hoping for a little better flow today. Definitely would agree that the South facing slopes ran best yesterday. Decided not to be open for maple Sunday . So would like to go on tour. Abbott will you be around on Sunday ?
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

Finally got enough to run the RO and sweeten the pans. Had just enough sap to get one small pour and made our first ever golden delicate! The rain forecasted will help a lot, I have a handful of lines that haven't even run yet because there's so much snow in the woods and they have a bit more shade and don't get the afternoon sun as much. Interesting season!

20190321_200101.jpg
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast