+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sterilize while tapping

Default Sterilize while tapping

Hi,

I'm wondering if folks are sterilizing lines while they tap. We're mostly hybrid 3/16 laterals and drops into mainlines on vacc, but I find that sap definitely back up and enter tap holes at the end of the day when it starts to freeze and some taps are still running.

We sterilize with alc at the end of the season, but I can't help but think that after a summer of sitting in the sun, that new bacteria must be brewing in the lines. Thought that maybe I could sterilize as I tap, and discard the first day or 2 of sap...

Any thoughts

My method, right or wrong, is dictated by my states law. I have to clean and sanatize then flush before collecting sap. I use a 33% white vinegar and hot water solution to clean followed later that day by a sanitizer solution (per manufacturer directions), let sit for 24 hours to have sanitizer do its job then I tap. I introduce all solutions at the top tap with a pump sprayer (1 gallon each lateral) because I replace my drops every year I don't worry at each tap. I then dump the first sap run and consider it my flush.

At the end of the season I do a white vinegar/ hot water wash then flush with 3 gallon of hot water in each lateral and take them down for the summer to reduce squirrel damage.

Hope this helps.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

+ Reply to Thread