+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marcland Auto Draw

Default Marcland Auto Draw

Good morning,

I just picked up a new auto draw off and am trying to figure out how and where to mount the control head. The control box appears to be water resistant so I was thinking of mounting it to a portable base so I can move it from one side of the evaporator to the other when alternating sides. Also, i was thinking of putting a tee in the draw off to get the syrup out of the pan in case the auto valve malfunctions.

Any thought or picture of how you mounted yours would be helpful.

Thanks,

ED
    5th generation sugar maker
    700 +- taps
    2008 Leader 2.5 x 8 drop flue with air tight front/blower
    16 x 32 Leader gas finisher
    Wes Fab 7" Filter Press
    Water Jacketed Canning Tank 20 gallons capacity
    475 gallon Stainless head tank
    600 gallon raw sap bulk tank
    MES 300gl per hr RO
    Marcland Auto Draw
    Kubota XG 850 sap Hauler
    Kubota M5900 4x4 Tractor with loader

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6ZaySVbGEtcW2b5U9

Visit us at http://fletcher-farm.com/

Ed,
    Both ideas are good. I have my controller on the wall. When I change sides its not in easy reach but is only a few steps away to allow minor adjustments.
    Not a bad idea on the bypass valve. I used to have one. but don't have one now. Just was not using it much at all. I did add a throttling valve between the pan and the valve to control the flow. Gets it closer to a continuous draw off mode.
    BTW I really like having the auto draw off system.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 02-10-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I have both. My syrup pan is same side draw. I have a "throttling" valve, then a T, on one side of the Tee is my auto draw valve, on the other is a ball valve. On that side of the pan I have 2 sush set up's and a temperature probe where the thermometer used to be. I then only need to swap the auto draw valve when I reverse the flow. My control box is mounted on a board suspended over the counter opposite the draw offs. To change flow I move the valve and swap the electric leads from the temperature probes. It takes maybe 30 seconds total at most.
    I find mine easy to use and I really like it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I bought one of these to hang off the side of my pan for the control box. I don’t have Leader pans but it still fit fine.
    https://www.bascommaple.com/item/adm...atic_drawoffs/
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Thanks for the info, so is it necessary to install the bypass valve? I would prefer not to because it will add extra weight and leverage on my welded pan outlet box. Sounds like the units are very reliable.

Ed
    5th generation sugar maker
    700 +- taps
    2008 Leader 2.5 x 8 drop flue with air tight front/blower
    16 x 32 Leader gas finisher
    Wes Fab 7" Filter Press
    Water Jacketed Canning Tank 20 gallons capacity
    475 gallon Stainless head tank
    600 gallon raw sap bulk tank
    MES 300gl per hr RO
    Marcland Auto Draw
    Kubota XG 850 sap Hauler
    Kubota M5900 4x4 Tractor with loader

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6ZaySVbGEtcW2b5U9

Visit us at http://fletcher-farm.com/

If you want to relieve the weight, devise some sort of brace, if the valve dies at draw off time (power failure?), you will be glad you have an alternative.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I agree with Maple Flats, its worth having the bypass in case an emergency happens. Its probably not best to trust everything on a computer board in a damp location. I made a mount for mine out of stainless strapping so it can hang over the edge of the pan near the draw off point. I think I'm going to try mounting it on the wall this year though and see how I like it. Having a ball valve before the valve is handy too so you can control how much draws at a time, if its like mine those valves are open or closed- no in between.

I feel the Marcland valves are really good though, I've been using it for 2 years boiling outside without a roof (a couple times in the rain) and it is still in perfect condition. The man who makes the Marcland products lives right down the road from me and I know he takes pride in building them with quality.
    2015- 3x4 flat pan over brick "arch" outside
    2016- Same pan with homemade arch outside
    2017- 2x6 new to me evaporator setup outside
    2018- Same setup, started to build a shack
    2019- homemade single post 4x40 RO and finally in a sugar shack!
    We are improving little by little each year, part of the fun!

Yea I would be in deep do do if the power went out. If you wanted to make some syrup with the power out you would also need a very accurate thermometer that could be used at a moments notice too! Yea they Marcland and others are very reliable. But they are not fool proof. Just another very good syrup making tool! Its the equivalent of having another person in the sugarhouse that is as good or better than you are at making syrup!! They are always ready to work and dont need much coaxing to get a good job done all day!
    Ed, Your going to love it! You operation is similar in size as mine.
    I mounted mine on the wall just to be out of the way. I get sloppy with syrup or water, and it is not close to the hot evaporator. Also I only play with the temp for a couple of the first draws.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread