+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on after RO use rinse

Default Question on after RO use rinse

Ok so after the RO runs out of sap I am initially rinsing the membrane for 3-4 minutes to remove residual sugar and sending this to the concentrate tank. After that then the full rinse. My question is with the what to do with any remaining liquid in the concentrate line that goes to the concentrate tank? Is the sugar level low enough after the 3-4 minute rinse to let it be till the next RO use? How much % sugar would be in there after such a rinse?
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

For me I normally will check the liquid going to the concentrate to see the sugar content drop while pushing the remaining sweet out of the RO.
    For me this is about 1%, once I hit that I throw the valves and send it to drain for a few moments.
    Now I will do a True rinse and then if necessary a wash.

I would not hold it till next time unless that next time is really soon, the sweeter the sap the faster it will start to go bad, and you do not want to add a little sap to a nice big load of fresh sap.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

the chance of someone answering that and you testing it and getting the same result isn't good. you need a sap hydrometer and figure out your own conclusions. when i start tapering off in sugar % put some into a bucket to go back into the regular sap tank. the rest of the rinse water goes on the ground after the sugar is nil.
    2016 7 taps= 1-2 gallons of syrup
    2017 135 taps making 17 gallons syrup
    2018 75 taps =50 gallons syrup
    2019 70 taps making 20 gallons. Single 4x40 RO
    2020 bought 40 acres installed 250 tubing taps, 100 bags. 70 gal
    2021 500 taps with guzzler. 80 gal syrup + sold sap
    2022 600 taps 27 gal sap per tap on guzzler!!! 110 gal + sold sap

I check the sugar in my concentrate with a refractometer and when it gets down to less than .5% I consider the sugar flush done. It sometimes takes up to 10 minutes to get all of the sugar out. I let it flush for 5 minutes before I even start checking the sugar. I have my plumbing set up so that I can drain pipe from the head tank back into the RO room when I'm done with the flush. There isn't much sugar in it at that point so I just run that into the drain. I then do a soap wash and then a rinse.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Default Ro rinse

How long does soap rinse take?
    2010 - 28 taps, homemade brick arch
    2011 - 421 taps, 2' x 6' homemade evaporator
    2012 - 276 taps
    2013 - 385 taps, new 2' x 6'
    2014 - 600 taps, new 7" short bank filter press

Quote Originally Posted by butler View Post
    How long does soap rinse take?
    It depends on if you heat the wash water or let your RO heat it. On mine I've never timed it but it takes 2 or 3 hours. My RO will slowly heat the water as it is pumped through. Some RO's won't heat the water and you will need to heat it yourself. When it's up to temperature it doesn't take very long.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread