+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vent thru cupola or right behind it?

Default Vent thru cupola or right behind it?

Hi,
    I am designing a new 12x16 sugarhouse. I will be putting a 2x4 pan underneath a 3x5 cupola, maybe off to the side a bit so the pipe can come out on the side of the ridge vent.
    I would like to keep my pipe straight. Is it ok to vent it through the cupola ridge vent? Should I offset it back wards and come up behind the cupola? I have also seen pictures of pipe coming out dead center of the ridge vent but I believe that would not be good for structural reasons. Any ideas or picture would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Which vent are you talking, steam or smoke?
    If smoke, it should not go into the cupola, if steam (with a hood) it can vent thru the cupola, in the cupola or beside the cupola.
    As far as going thru the ridge I guess it depends on your construction. My smoke stack goes thru the ridge, I have trusses and thus no ridge pole. Even if you have a ridge pole you can frame around it just like any other opening would be framed.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-09-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have mine off-set to keep a bigger work area in the shack. and ran the stack right through the rafters. i used an ellipse template to cut the hole to match the pitch.
    20180206_151257.jpg
    20180205_145231.jpg
    20180205_175400.jpg
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

It is the smoke stack. Off to the side and behind the cupola a bit seems to be a good idea. Do you get a lot of dripping on the sides of the cupola down into the shack?

Quote Originally Posted by Eberzin View Post
    It is the smoke stack. Off to the side and behind the cupola a bit seems to be a good idea. Do you get a lot of dripping on the sides of the cupola down into the shack?
    mine comes out behind the cupola (front to back on the shack). i do still have to add a roof jack, but i sealed some flashing down around the hole in the metal roof to keep run-off water shedding around the stack pipe.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

Mine goes out through the ridge. We're timber frame so there is no ridge pole here either.

To stay clear of the cupola, and clear one of the rafters, I did have an offset made by Leader. They did a nice job and it worked out great.

The roof jack for the ridge in my opinion, is the way to go as it's "self flashing" ...it just sits right over the hole.
    DSC03517.jpgroof jack.jpg
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

My evaporator is centered in my sugar house and the stack goes straight up through the ridge. I do have a ridge board and just cut out the section where the stack goes up through. I cut the ridge board in the cupola too. The purlins hold the rafters in place and I'm sure that the metal roofing also helps. My building is almost 20 years old now and is as true as it was when I built it.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread