+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydrometer Question

Default Hydrometer Question

Does anyone have experience with the Smokey Lake Gold Hydrometer? Do you feel it is worth the extra money over other brands? Are they more accurate? I already have their Murphy Cup and really like it.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I think the only difference is the gold one is certified.
    I have the Murphy cup also. And just used the regular hydrometer from smoky lake with it.
    Worked awesome. Until it hit the floor. Then it didn’t.
    So I bought 2 more.
    Love it.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Buy the gold one with the cup. It is 100 percent accurate. I believe there is also a line that shows if the hydrometer inside has moved. When I bought this set up I wondered how I lived without it all the years.

The basic difference is that the gold thermometer has a red line to verify the paper inside has not moved. You can do the same by getting a completely accurate measurement of the paper location when new, and if the paper never shifted in transit from the factory until you check it, the hydrometer will be accurate. You can also take your hydrometer to one of the maple shows that offer testing of your hydrometer and then get that measurement.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread