+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a ton of 3in tubing just got scrapped at work...so its new evaporator time!

Default a ton of 3in tubing just got scrapped at work...so its new evaporator time!

i have a 2x3ft flat pan and a 3x4ft flat pan. I wasnt quite sure what i wanted to do. i ended up making the 2x3ft pan my main pan...with the thought to making it a divided pan next yr. the 3x4ft pan i raised up to make it a pre-heater pan. so i have a huge 3ft x 7ft evaporator in the works. thoughts?

5FA6BEFC-DE12-4FDE-BD54-D36A82C0D409.jpg

DE00A2F2-755B-49C4-B303-6546C36E2DA0.jpg

D994609D-3EC1-4975-8E03-B99B661ADBE4.jpg

yes, make the bigger pan the main pan and the smaller one the preheater, or better, use both as boil pans and get done sooner.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by sbedilion View Post
    i have a 2x3ft flat pan and a 3x4ft flat pan. I wasnt quite sure what i wanted to do. i ended up making the 2x3ft pan my main pan...with the thought to making it a divided pan next yr. the 3x4ft pan i raised up to make it a pre-heater pan. so i have a huge 3ft x 7ft evaporator in the works. thoughts?

Attachment 19381

Attachment 19382

Attachment 19383
    If you have no intention of putting a commercial made pan set on this Arch I would build it like you are. With the back pan higher you potentially could run your back pan shallower which would be good. We had a rig that was like that once, we just had valves between the pans, you could run a half or 3/4 of an inch in the back pan/sap pan , and run the syrup pan at like 1.5" that way you have a little room for error.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

In my experience with a homemade evaporator set up as a cascade - you want to have the bigger pan the one in the back. The syrup pan should be the smaller one.
    Don't think in terms of "preheater" and main pan - think in terms of flue pan and syrup pan.

For our first year, we had an oil tank evaporator we bought second hand. The larger pan was the syrup/front pan. And there was a pan above and in back of it - when we had to draw off it was a pain in the neck - the smaller rear pan would get flooded with cold sap and kill all the boil and flow we had going.

When we switched to a real setup it was so obvious, but we did not know better

I would also suggest considering making a normal width 2x arch and getting a 2x3 pan made for the back pan. Maybe with drop tubes or something.

but the way you describe it sounds good.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/comments.

Wow! 3" tubing is expensive stuff. Good find.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Spent a few days in the shop but got it finished.

it ended up bigger than I was planning....but it was all free 2x3 front pan....3x4 back pan. Next year I might add a blower.

evap.jpg

That looks good.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread