+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homemade Barrel Evaporator

Default Homemade Barrel Evaporator

Hello all,

Relatively new to the maple game here. I was always familiar with how it was made, as a local state park has a Maple Syrup Festival and I'd hear stories of my great grandparents making it, so when I realized I had some sugar maples on my farm I decided to give it a go last year. Started out with about 10 taps and a turkey burner...that was a mistake. After spending about $120 in propane and ruining a few batches (was renovating my house at the same time, so couldn't keep a constant eye on it...especially being outside, in the freezing wind and dark. I ended up only getting about 24 oz, burning another 48 or so, and calling it quits. I just didn't have the time or money to put into it last year, but I was hooked.

So fast forward this year, still don't have a whole lot of money but looking forward to expanding a bit. Haven't tapped yet, but looking to add about 5 more to start out with. I picked up some steamer pans and a 55 gallon barrel and decided to go redneck with a homemade evaporator. Used the barrel stove kits from TSC and boy is this thing ugly, but hoping she does the job. Going to line the inside with fire brick, and instead of a tradition arch shape I cut some steel and stuck it in the back like a "ramp" that I'll try to either brick or lay some fire blanket over, then add a grate in the front to help with airflow.

It's certainly not pretty, and was more of a pain to make than I thought it'd be...but hopefully it does the job. I've yet to fire it up, wondering if I need to burn off all the paint before I add the sap?

IMG_5951.jpg

PS not sure why pic is upside down, it's not like that on my computer?
    Last edited by kmlibben; 02-06-2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: postscript
    Perrysville, OH
    Approx. 15 Taps

I'm not sure you'd absolutly HAVE to, but I would. With the fumes and stuff. Besides, fill the pans with water and see what kind of boil you get. Just my thoughts, Ted

Yeah I would burn it off, it may not ALL burn off though. Like tbear said it'll give ya a chance to see what kinda boil you get. If it's not boiling like you think it should, make sure you have plenty of space/draft under the fire.

Thanks guys, do you think I should burn it before or after bricking?
    Perrysville, OH
    Approx. 15 Taps

I think before would be best. Burn it outdoors because it will stink. Also, in the picture it look like there is some space around the pans, that should be sealed somehow but you want to be able to remove the pans for cleaning.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yeah, there's a little bit of space but not as much as the pic makes it look...the pans fill it up pretty well once they sit all the way in. Any tips for something cheap and easy to fill them with?
    Perrysville, OH
    Approx. 15 Taps

Good looking evaporator. It should definitely get the job done!
    Jeremy Williams
    "In the deep dark hills
    of Eastern Kentucky."

Quote Originally Posted by kmlibben View Post
    Yeah, there's a little bit of space but not as much as the pic makes it look...the pans fill it up pretty well once they sit all the way in. Any tips for something cheap and easy to fill them with?
    Any space at all is going to lead to smoke (and maybe more) coming out there, scorching the sap in your pan on the sides, making cleanup a pain (and getting in your eyes etc).

Standard solution is rock wool insulation. Can be purchased pretty cheaply online. You can cut it into strips. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Insulation-Mo...dp/B015GD0QCW/

Cheers,

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets